PDA

View Full Version : On the off chance - XJR knowledge/links?!

e34.535i.sport
10-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Hey guys...

Not been in Jaguar territory too long as you probably know having only sold the 535i recently and I have encountered a minor (I hope) issue already! :( One of the coolant hoses burst and it's looking to be a real PITA to change at the moment because visibility is minimal to say the least and this thing is nicknamed 'The Octopus'... You can probably see how thosetwothings are going to be problematic! :p

Obviously i've changed coolant hoses in the past (done the lot on my m30!) but I was just wandering if anyone here has ever came across, or knows the location of, a haynes manual (or similar) for the Jag x300 online? I'm a member on the Jaguarforums also but not getting too much assistance there at the moment to be honest. I have the part now and it certainly lives up to it's name! Saturday monring the fun begins so thought I'd post back in my old territory on the off chance as i know a few people here own an XJ or have done in the past.

Thanks in advance!

genphreak
10-02-2009, 05:48 AM
Well if it worse than a BMW you have to start by taking out the radiator, power steering pump.. etc. (sorry, bad humour for your predicament!)

Hoses often go in with the engine, so are seldom easy to R&R in tight engine bays. Monkey arms and thin fingers might the the order of the day- or keen help from an 8 year old.

Rule number one with 'complex old cars' (I'm trying not to say what everyone is thinking here... PurrPurr, Meow!) , buy the manual and the service info first. A Haynes may pale in significance to a Bently or dare ai say it, a Chiltons. Oh and yes, find a good forum or two for pooling ones approach to the 'glories of ownership'.

I sure hope all my advice is useless and totally baseless in your case. I know the same thing goes for most cars made nowadays, even VWs, Hondas and freakin' Renaults...

ryan roopnarine
10-02-2009, 07:16 PM
i don't know jaguar nomenclature all that well...is that around a 1997 car?

i assume this still works, and would work for something under 2003

http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4172

Hey guys...

Not been in Jaguar territory too long as you probably know having only sold the 535i recently and I have encountered a minor (I hope) issue already! :( One of the coolant hoses burst and it's looking to be a real PITA to change at the moment because visibility is minimal to say the least and this thing is nicknamed 'The Octopus'... You can probably see how thosetwothings are going to be problematic! :p

Obviously i've changed coolant hoses in the past (done the lot on my m30!) but I was just wandering if anyone here has ever came across, or knows the location of, a haynes manual (or similar) for the Jag x300 online? I'm a member on the Jaguarforums also but not getting too much assistance there at the moment to be honest. I have the part now and it certainly lives up to it's name! Saturday monring the fun begins so thought I'd post back in my old territory on the off chance as i know a few people here own an XJ or have done in the past.

Thanks in advance!

SnakeyesTx
10-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Ooh.. that's right.. there's no realoem.com's for the Coventry Cows is there? :D

Just playing with you... try Jag-lovers.org, I've been a member (albeit absent the past few years) there since about 2000. Good forums and lots of helpful people. Here's a link to their forum page... http://forums.jag-lovers.org/index.php3

Best of luck to you. I know all about those "octopus" hoses and how much of a pain they can be >_<

e34.535i.sport
10-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Hey guys,

Thank you very much for your comments and links! I actually made a start on the job on friday night until i ran out of light... I managed to remove the electric fans, upper rad hose, thermostat (which didn't want to come out!) and drain the coolant. Now it's looking like i need to get it on ramps for the lower hose (octopus)... which i probably should've done beforehand! :p

Unfortunately I come down with some sort of virus on saturday and I've been laid up since then just like the Jag :( I'll re-commence the octopus removal on saturday and let u guys know how it goes!

:D

whiskychaser
10-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Unfortunately I come down with some sort of virus on saturday and I've been laid up since then just like the Jag :( I'll re-commence the octopus removal on saturday and let u guys know how it goes!

:D
Should have come over to Crete. Octopus seem to be a speciality. Beats the pi. Er.. rain we got as a welcome home:-( Let us know if you need some helping hands:-)

e34.535i.sport
10-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Should have come over to Crete. Octopus seem to be a speciality. Beats the pi. Er.. rain we got as a welcome home:-( Let us know if you need some helping hands:-)

Haha yeah i was gonna 'nip over' but didn't want to interrupt your break! ;) I think i'd rather deal with this octopus than one on a plate!!! :D

Ooooh you might regret saying that my friend haha! ;) So what are you up to saturday?! :D

e34.535i.sport
10-11-2009, 04:25 PM
THE JOB'S A GOOD'N!!! :D

The octopus is in... 12 hours of my weekend were pretty agonising but well worth it! :p

Ended up having to remove the intake manifold and the supercharger to get at the barsteward... :( Found a brilliant write up on Jag-Lovers fortunately enough to so thanks again for pointingmein the right direction. :)

Downside is i sheared the end off the fuel rail which means i'm still off the road :( however on thepositive side it won't take long at all to throw one in when i get hold of it and then that's all she wrote on the octopus adventure! :D