PDA

View Full Version : Alarm override

charlie
09-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Does anyone know if there is a way to override the alarm in our cars. mine specifically is a '95 540 and sometimes one of my keyfobs doesn't work too well. scenario is that the alarm could be set, and then you can't turn it off and the car won't start until you can get the sucker to turn off. many cars have a button under the dash that you can depress while turning the ignition key to get the car to start, thus overriding the alarm system. is there such a thing on our cars?

Tiger
09-25-2009, 11:43 AM
No... no overide button. I know what you mean as it did it a couple of times on me. I am not sure but I think key must be put to on position and driver door open and it will reset after a certain time elapsed... I can't remember.

charlie
09-25-2009, 02:00 PM
oh, ok...so I guess there is a method that works?

No... no overide button. I know what you mean as it did it a couple of times on me. I am not sure but I think key must be put to on position and driver door open and it will reset after a certain time elapsed... I can't remember.

genphreak
09-26-2009, 06:54 AM
No idea about overrides, but I know that you need to make sure tha battery is good- when they get old they start to cycle at a lower voltage range and that is the main cause of false-alarms...

charlie
09-28-2009, 08:46 AM
No idea about overrides, but I know that you need to make sure tha battery is good- when they get old they start to cycle at a lower voltage range and that is the main cause of false-alarms...

batteries are 2 weeks old

stx133
09-28-2009, 11:25 PM
there is a proceure i did once on instruction from bmw support over the phone, went something like,

get in
close the door
turn key to on
wait 30 min, hazard lights flash
alarm imobiliser off.

i think the alarm goes off intermittantly for the first 10 - 15 min. it was not fun.
i can not guarantee the acuracy of this as it was a few years ago and i did not write it down.

genphreak
09-29-2009, 07:43 AM
batteries are 2 weeks oldThe battery uner the rear seat, the big one- that runs the car. What I am talking about has nothing to do with the fob or the key.

Tiger
09-29-2009, 08:52 AM
locked in the car for 30 minutes? That's freaking stupid...

The Stretch
10-13-2009, 12:24 PM
That has happened to me a few times. If you go under the rear seat, there is a blue fuse which when pulled will disable the alarm and the OBC. Shogun had a post with pictures somewhere... You'll be able to start the car and the alarm will stop, but the OBC and key-less locks wont work. It will atleast get you home to grab the other key to disarm when the fuse is put back in.

jofusfarr
10-13-2009, 05:18 PM
I disabled my alarm by leaving the key in position 1 for a significant amount of time...probably 30 minutes, like you mentioned. It simply stopped and never had the problem again.

I disconnected the alarm siren in the windshield cowling and the LKM to remedy the annoyance of 30 minutes of noise.