PDA

View Full Version : Centre air vents

ss2115
09-21-2009, 06:07 AM
My centre two air vents have loose/missing slats and the drivers side is so loose that it won't stay in position but rotates down all the time.

Does this vent assembly just pull out of the dash, or is it fixed somehow?
Can someone expalin how to get them out either as the two rotating vents, or as a complete assembly that I can fix on the workbench.

glen-sj
09-21-2009, 09:02 AM
I'd just replaced mine on the 95 530ia about a month ago. It was doing the same as your, but not as bad. The vent assembly is secure at the four corner by taps on the assembly. The instuction I got from the E34 forum was to depress the taps while putting out, starting with the upper left, then the lower left, etc. I was not able to find any tools thin enough and stiff enough to slide between the dash and the vent to do this.

Since the vents were shocked and I was replacing it with a new unit I got from Bavarian Autosport (~$60+ USD), I used a pair of long nose pliers and yanked the rotating vents out, then grabbed the assembly at the center and yanked it out. If you're trying to repair it, you will need to trying some way to be abe to depress the taps. Although the rotating vents also snap into the assembly and if you are carefully enough, it can be pulled out without being damaged if you take you time and not too much force. Looking at my old unit the vents have taps on both sides and is inserted into the assembly on guides.

If you are going to remove the whole assembly, just keep in mind there is a bowen cable attached to the center of the assembly on the back side and on the 525 there be may a rice bulb attached. My ’95 530 did not have the bulb, but my ‘92 525 did.

I can’t locate the webpage that have photos and instructions on this removal. If I find it, I’ll post it for you. Good luck!

Luftpost
09-21-2009, 03:16 PM
I recently fixed mine for the same reasons.

You do not have to remove the entire assembly. Simply roll the vents so that they are in the position of "blowing down", then carefully continue to roll each vent beyond there "maximum" down position and exert just a little pressure, and they should come right out. There are plastic nubs on each end that keep it in position. There is a thread here somewhere, where someone else did it first. I too will try to find it and post it.

To fix the looseness of the vents, I simply taped the soft portion of velcro tape (black of course) to the top and bottom of the inside of each vent so that the vanes rub against the soft velcro. It gives just enough resistance to keep them from flopping around with higher van speeds.

If this is not clear as mud, let me know and I will dig out my digital camera and post some pics.

Not having to remove the entire assembly is a big plus!!!!

L

tim eh?
09-21-2009, 07:05 PM
mine was stuck in there pretty tight - I had to take off the top vent and use a screwdriver to press down the tabs while prying the top part of the vent out with another screwdriver. I had to do this again recently and it was such a %$#@ing procedure that I haven't even pushed it all the way back in again because I haven't decided whether or not to break off those stupid tabs before I put it back in. The bulb is a bit of a pain too.

ss2115
09-21-2009, 08:15 PM
I recently fixed mine for the same reasons.

You do not have to remove the entire assembly. Simply roll the vents so that they are in the position of "blowing down", then carefully continue to roll each vent beyond there "maximum" down position and exert just a little pressure, and they should come right out. There are plastic nubs on each end that keep it in position. There is a thread here somewhere, where someone else did it first. I too will try to find it and post it.

To fix the looseness of the vents, I simply taped the soft portion of velcro tape (black of course) to the top and bottom of the inside of each vent so that the vanes rub against the soft velcro. It gives just enough resistance to keep them from flopping around with higher van speeds.

If this is not clear as mud, let me know and I will dig out my digital camera and post some pics.

Not having to remove the entire assembly is a big plus!!!!

L

This worked really well.
Turning the vents downwards till they stop, and then turn them that bit more until they click.
Then grabbing them as best as possible, wiggle them out and slightly upwards and out they come.
Great.

Next problem is that while one vent is complete, the other only has the centre slate remaining.
I was hoping they would all be lying there with the little plastic connection bar as well, but no such luck.

I know they were there when I purchased the car because it was me that dislodged one slat when trying to push my GPS vent cradle into the vent.
But since that time they all have fallen out.

Seems they will have gone down the air tube.
I've looked at the OEM Online draing at the ventilation system, but it doesn't show where these parts have probably ended up.
I'm guessing its in the distribution box which looks like it will be behind and either just above or just below the radio and the heater controls.

Can someone confirm?
Can I get to this distribution box from either footwell and fish these parts out, or am I looking a huge job to dismantle the entire centre of the dash to get to it.

(I've never had much air coming out in the footwells at my feet, so I'm wondering now if these loose slats are blocking those side exits out of the distribution box).

best regards and thanks for the helpful advice guys.

glen-sj
09-21-2009, 09:23 PM
That is exactly what happened to mine. So I decided to replace the whole unit. I suppose this connection bar could have ended up down at the micro (cabin) filter compartment, since all outside air passes through this filter before coming through the cabin vents. I have not looked there myself, but will be changing out the micro filter in the near future, guess I will found out then. Here is the link to the vent removal [URL="http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_37.htm"]

Jehu
09-22-2009, 12:16 AM
If you want a brand new set and your car uses the electronic switch rather than the cable operated switch I have such for sale.. I bought them brand new because mine were loose and kept dropping down, couldn't keep them pointed at me but didn't know my car uses the cable.. the set I bought is for the electric center wheel switch so feel free to PM me if needed