PDA

View Full Version : Brakes...would you trust the "Midas touch"?

Matias
06-10-2004, 08:50 AM
My 94 540 is shaking pretty bad when braking from 70+MPH, does anyone have experience with taking the car to Midas? Anything special I should tell them to use/check?. Thanks

rickm
06-10-2004, 08:56 AM
I'd go to an indy instead before I set foot in a Midas shop. Hand them your car and before long they'll want to replace half of it.

bimmerd00d
06-10-2004, 09:39 AM
it most likely is not your brakes, it is more likely your thrust arm bushings. Possibly your brakes as well. Where do you live, i'm sure there's a fellow E34 owner on here that is local to you who could recommend a good shop to take it to.

Matias
06-10-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm in Colorado, 180 miles west of Denver.

NoSpeedLimits
06-10-2004, 10:24 AM
I agree with bimmerd00d, it's probably not your brakes. See my recent post regarding directional tires and you will see a list of items that I have, and so have many others, replaced or fixed in hopes of curing the shakes. Good Luck...hope you have lots of money in the bank :) It has been a painful experience for me. The only good part is that my used car will be practically new in a few years. ;) And, I too would stay away from Midas not unless their mechanic is very familiar with BMW's.

1992 BMW 535i
06-10-2004, 10:36 AM
it most likely is not your brakes, it is more likely your thrust arm bushings. Possibly your brakes as well. Where do you live, i'm sure there's a fellow E34 owner on here that is local to you who could recommend a good shop to take it to.

I'm assuming that this is a standard problem with the 5 series? Braking is fine below 55MPH, but hard barking above creates significant shake. Thrust Arm Bushings?

Unregistered
06-10-2004, 08:42 PM
145k is pretty high mileage for the thrust arm problem to appear but not impossible if the repair was done earlier with stock bushings. Get a good indy to indicate the rotors to see if any run-out is present and go from there.

Paul