PDA

View Full Version : oil pump

allerston
09-15-2009, 10:52 PM
i would like to know can the oil pump stop working i mean stop pumping the oil
does the oil light stay on even if the engine is running.
just would like to know
:D

yaofeng
09-16-2009, 07:35 AM
If the oil pump stops working the engine will be damaged in a short time. There will be no oil pressure to delive oil to all parts of the engine needed for lubrication. The oil pressure switch will trigger the oil light to come on. You will hear loud clatter on the valves.

allerston
09-16-2009, 09:39 AM
If the oil pump stops working the engine will be damaged in a short time. There will be no oil pressure to delive oil to all parts of the engine needed for lubrication. The oil pressure switch will trigger the oil light to come on. You will hear loud clatter on the valves.

so if the oil pump stops working will the oil light will stay on even if the engine is runing ?

thank you :D

BMWCCA1
09-16-2009, 11:49 AM
You're asking some odd questions. The oil-pressure warning lamp (idiot light) will stay on anytime there is insufficient oil pressure in the system and the key is on. A more common BMW failure is the oil-pressure-light sending unit itself, which is readily available, easy to replace, and usually costs less than ten-bucks. If I could understand what you're talking about I'd probably suggest starting there, first.

whiskychaser
09-16-2009, 12:00 PM
so if the oil pump stops working will the oil light will stay on even if the engine is runing ?

thank you :D
Yes. Its the engine's way of telling you ' I dont have any oil pressure'. As the sensor and light system isnt very accurate, it could also be the engine's way of telling you ' I didnt have any oil pressure and I'm totally fkd now'. What prompts the question?:)

allerston
09-16-2009, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=BMWCCA1;328380]You're asking some odd questions. The oil-pressure warning lamp (idiot light) will stay on anytime there is insufficient oil pressure in the system and the key is on. A more common BMW failure is the oil-pressure-light sending unit itself, which is readily available, easy to replace, and usually costs less than ten-bucks. If I could understand what you're talking about I'd probably suggest starting there, first.[/QUOTE

that is all very interesting
thanx.

Ferret
09-17-2009, 05:30 AM
The M50 engine is also extremely prone to the pump running dry when you powerslide the arse end of the car in one direction because of the shape of the sump.

If you intentionally boot it on a gravel carpark and hook it hard around, you'll get a *bong* Oil Press warning flashing in your display.

Interceptor
09-17-2009, 12:42 PM
The M50 engine is also extremely prone to the pump running dry when you powerslide the arse end of the car in one direction because of the shape of the sump.

If you intentionally boot it on a gravel carpark and hook it hard around, you'll get a *bong* Oil Press warning flashing in your display.

I powerslide (and hard) quite often and never got the Oil Pressure warning?

Had two M50B25 engines in my car, now I'm on M52B28 with M50 intake and sump - same thing.