s
You call that "reasonable" condition? :(

leicesterboy15
09-13-2009, 04:43 PM
are they staggered?

bigtallsam
09-14-2009, 01:21 AM
are they staggered?

sorry for being dim, remind what you mean regards to staggered?

s

bigtallsam
09-14-2009, 01:42 AM
You call that "reasonable" condition? :(

lol, they are round with rubber all the way round the outside?

other than than a little kerbing on a few the rest of the marks i can only put down to weathering - i've allway kept them clean but 'finish' seemed to go a bit funny in certain ereas of the wheels after a while, round the holes for the nuts and valves.

s

genphreak
09-14-2009, 02:09 AM
wider at the rear than the front- and/or different offsets. Dumb thing, but on M5's they do this to get that extra little bit of balance. Also change the bushes, axles, diff, carrier, subframe, brakes, the rest of the suspension, the axle housings, trailing arms... ah well, u know how they think. If you're going to change one thing, you should change the lot, else you won't be able to say you really are the best, even if all that arsing around makes no difference whasoever.

Best let everyone know the offset- its all in the numbers on the back of the rims btw :)

bigtallsam
09-14-2009, 02:21 AM
wider at the rear than the front- and/or different offsets. Dumb thing, but on M5's they do this to get that extra little bit of balance. Also change the bushes, axles, diff, carrier, subframe, brakes, the rest of the suspension, the axle housings, trailing arms... ah well, u know how they think. If you're going to change one thing, you should change the lot, else you won't be able to say you really are the best, even if all that arsing around makes no difference whasoever.

Best let everyone know the offset- its all in the numbers on the back of the rims btw :)

aaahhhh gotcha! i remember i think the original wheels on the car were staggered

thanks for the reminder

mine are all the same size i.e front could goon the back and vice versa :-(

s

genphreak
09-14-2009, 03:13 AM
Only cars of this ilk that came std AFAIK with staggered rims were Alpinas(?), some e31s, M5s and perhaps M3s... it was not an option on anything that didn;t have suspension built for it as the stock gemetry needs to change when you jampackl the wheel arches to every last mm. Staggerd rims with stock suspension causes bad internal wear, economy and screws up handling and balance. (Not that that stops many ppl doing it, LOL)

leicesterboy15
09-14-2009, 03:55 AM
Oh well never mind, I have non staggered as well so was looking for a staggered set, put them on ebay with all the size details and details of the tyres and they'll easily sell for £150 upwards if you are having no luck here. Some courier services charge a flat fee for transporting a set of alloys as well (they advertise on ebay), I think its £40 - £50 and if you list with postage it will open up your audience massively. Good luck.

sal_park
09-14-2009, 04:13 AM
Only cars of this ilk that came std AFAIK with staggered rims were Alpinas(?), some e31s, M5s and perhaps M3s... it was not an option on anything that didn;t have suspension built for it as the stock gemetry needs to change when you jampackl the wheel arches to every last mm. Staggerd rims with stock suspension causes bad internal wear, economy and screws up handling and balance. (Not that that stops many ppl doing it, LOL)

Erm, no.

My UK 1994 525 is a standard sport model* and has staggered rims. As far as I know these are original fit which is backed up by the documentation for the car.

* the suspension is described as "low slung m sports suspension" according to my local dealer.

genphreak
09-14-2009, 05:46 AM
Erm, no.

My UK 1994 525 is a standard sport model* and has staggered rims. As far as I know these are original fit which is backed up by the documentation for the car.

* the suspension is described as "low slung m sports suspension" according to my local dealer.

Ooooh, nice. So did it have much of the M suspension? At least it would be low springs, shocks and offset bushes. I wonder how much it had. So the 18s were standard fitment? So are those rims are for sure factory fitment? ie Genuine FORGED alloy?

If so they would be one of the best rims for anyone wanting an e34with 18s, as non-forged rims are heavier so tend not to work so well on an e34's geometry.

Maybe you can post a pic of the inner side of the hub where the numbers are stamped?

sal_park
09-14-2009, 06:41 AM
Ooooh, nice. So did it have much of the M suspension? At least it would be low springs, shocks and offset bushes. I wonder how much it had. So the 18s were standard fitment? So are those rims are for sure factory fitment? ie Genuine FORGED alloy?

If so they would be one of the best rims for anyone wanting an e34with 18s, as non-forged rims are heavier so tend not to work so well on an e34's geometry.

Maybe you can post a pic of the inner side of the hub where the numbers are stamped?

Hi genphreak,

sorry I think I've slightly mislead you - my E34 has 17 inch wheels not 18. The whole suspension setup (afaik) is m-tech (inc LSD) with the following wheels tyres (same as M5 from the time)

front tyre: 235 45 ZR17 8
front wheel: 8Jx17 ET20

rear tyre: 255 40 ZR17
rear wheel: 9Jx17 ET22

sal

genphreak
09-14-2009, 06:51 AM
Ahh, ok. 17" makes sense. If you were here in Oz, I'd grab em. That rear suspension, drivetrain, all of it would have been well worth keeping!

Hmm 9s... just sweet as. I wonder if the M5 rears were a 22mm offset. If so, the arms and perhaps more would have been M-tech ones too. The best 2.5L car BMW ever made tho for many an e30 would be more fun. However it didn't have an M50!

bigtallsam
09-14-2009, 02:12 PM
oo! hadnt spotted all the replies, thanks fellas

have already put them on t' bay but as i thought i'd check back in on you guys as well as whilst owning the old girl this site was sooo good for info regards to trying to keep her in good nick

in the end there was too much that needed doing

rear subframe bushes, all top mounts a probably most of the drop, pit, roll bushes

then brakes and discs started to get v thin

i'd planned to do those bit by bit then she got broke into, then finally the slight oil seep gave way to a more permanent 'pour' :-(

then just to cap it off my father in law bought a new car and offered me his volvo v40 t4 (200bhp standard) on mates rates!

sold the e34 to a frien of a friend for spares for 500 quid, i miss her so much and wouldnt hesitate to go and get another but the ovlov is a 2001 plate with 50k on it plus the turbo is quite fun so am gonna stick with it for the time being

i miss german rear wheel drive and handling though!!

regards as always

s