PDA

View Full Version : OTE31: Argh! Which idiot invented these dizzy caps?

Ferret
09-11-2009, 08:44 AM
So the other night, my radiator exploded - this is now a 100% record in my bmw ownership - EVERY bmw I've ever bought, the radiator has failed in the first month :(

Typical...

Anyways I thought I might as well strip it down while the nose was out of the car, pulled both hoses, thermostat housing and with the room available thought I'd look at the dizzy caps.

Big Mistake.

The drivers side came out without a problem, and looked relatively new. Passenger side cap, what an arse 2 out of 3 of the bolts sheared in the housing, and when I got the cap off it looks like it's never been changed from new :(

The rotor-cap brush was just smeared everywhere and there was nothing left of it, no wonder it was a bit lumpy at tickover. The bolts were seized in so badly not even stud extractors would get 'em out - had to drill the two little bolts out but had to remove the housings first to do it.

While everything was out, noticed that the Aux aircon fan is seized and has blown the main aircon fuse... marching onwards.

Next on the list of things to do: remove the floatyness out of the suspension, I've gotta find which bushing/shock is causing it first... the rear suspension on these babies is horrific - and the shocks/height adjusting parts are silly money.

whiskychaser
09-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Sounds like you are having fun :( Cant remember if you said it has aircon? If so dont run it when the car is stopped without that aux fan working as it may cause some harm to the system. Distributors? Be telling us it has two sets of points next;) I've got a dwell meter in my tool box somewhere....
Be interested to see whats special about the rear suspension

bubba966
09-11-2009, 01:31 PM
The E31's have EDC don't they? Meaning that the rear is self leveling and has electronically adjustable shocks. Very nice setup when all is good. But replacing EDC shocks is horrendously expensive.

If your E31 does have EDC and you do need a new set of shocks go read a bit about them & the rebuild service Sportsline offers for EDC shocks over here http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-discussion/121817-e34-m5-frequently-asked-questions-faq.html

Just need to scroll down to the EDC III suspension part of the FAQ and there you'll find links to the threads about EDC & EDC rebuilds.

Need to rebuild/replace the two front EDC's on my E34. Might have to get a second job to pay for it if I want to do it anytime soon...

shogun
09-12-2009, 03:20 AM
In case there is oil or grease inside the distrbutor, you need to installe a new seal. Best is a speedy-sleeve in case there are grovves. I recommended that to someone in Germany and he did it like that, see pics here, same engine, M70 750 E32
http://www.7-forum.com/forum/5/750i-zuendung-unrund-simmerringe-107245.html

The BMW part number for the seal is 11141271415

Ferret
09-12-2009, 06:13 AM
The E31's have EDC don't they? Meaning that the rear is self leveling and has electronically adjustable shocks. Very nice setup when all is good. But replacing EDC shocks is horrendously expensive.

If your E31 does have EDC and you do need a new set of shocks go read a bit about them & the rebuild service Sportsline offers for EDC shocks over here http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-discussion/121817-e34-m5-frequently-asked-questions-faq.html

Just need to scroll down to the EDC III suspension part of the FAQ and there you'll find links to the threads about EDC & EDC rebuilds.

Need to rebuild/replace the two front EDC's on my E34. Might have to get a second job to pay for it if I want to do it anytime soon...

Fortunately this one isnt fitted wth EDC, I'd have not touched it with a bargepole if it had... 19 year old car just isnt worth that risk :(

Have a look at this as to why the rear suspension's a bit of a pain:
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E31/Coupe/Europe/850Ci-M70/RHD/A/1991/august/browse/rear_axle/rear_axle_support_wheel_suspension/

shogun
09-12-2009, 07:27 AM
I know very well, remember when we did that 2 years ago. Changed all bushes and rubber parts.
What we did: we bough a complete rear axle from a parted car, disassembled it completely, all wear parts scrapped, all steel parts sandblased and new painted. So the rear axle was ready to install as (almost) one unit to replace against installed one. That we did beforehand.
Then the action started, we had a pit and 4 chaps to help, took us from morning 9 till around 11 PM.
I imported the parts from Germany, pretty expensive.
Well, you have to get used to it, nothing is cheap when you drive a V12 ;)

whiskychaser
09-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Looks good. But I bet its a sod to diagnose which bush is gone when you get a 'knock' over slight bumps in the road:(