PDA

View Full Version : If I Retire My Ride - 89 535i

angusbn
09-07-2009, 05:05 PM
If I decide to Retire My Ride here in Canada, what parts are appealing to you guys if I remove. The only condition with the program is that the car be in good running condition so it will be cannabilized. The stereo system and speakers I'll keep for my self.

So, what's your shopping list? Bronzit beige exterior/interior.

I'm thinking:
tool box, spare tire, sunvisors/passenger courtesy light, baby seat tightdown, sidemarkers, BMW emblem, grill, center console rear portion.

Blair...

repenttokyo
09-07-2009, 06:22 PM
americans would love your rear headrests, if you have them.

BMWDriver
09-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Front seats.

Ross
09-08-2009, 08:33 AM
I gather this must be program similar to "cash for clunkers".
Your choice will be an unpopular one among most forum members, try to redeem yourself by exchanging as much of the car as you can with folks in need.
If your program is similar then about all that is required is documenting it has been registered and insured for road use which ostensibly means it runs and had been in service. No one really cares how well it runs or how much you've managed to strip from it.

angusbn
09-08-2009, 10:46 AM
I gather this must be program similar to "cash for clunkers".
Your choice will be an unpopular one among most forum members, try to redeem yourself by exchanging as much of the car as you can with folks in need.
If your program is similar then about all that is required is documenting it has been registered and insured for road use which ostensibly means it runs and had been in service. No one really cares how well it runs or how much you've managed to strip from it.

ROSS - that's my I'm asking - if I go this route, I'm willing to strip what I can (within reason) and give the parts away. Perhaps if someone in the Ottawa, Canada area is interested in the car, they can contact me.

632 Regal
09-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Dont forget:

mirrors
heated seats (the leather covers if good)
Aux water pump (can be bypassed)
emblems
center wheel covers
radio
CD player
sun visors
rear view
all interior panels
window switches
turn signals
tail lights
lol am I going too far?
The dealers dont care since they will get paid eventually and the car gets crushed, they can't salvage anything if they want the money.
center counsel wood piece
window motors
doors?
Does the car actually have to drive in or can it be towed?
Just sayin :D

bubba966
09-08-2009, 06:40 PM
I could use all of the wood trim in the car if you've got it and do this.

Ross
09-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Just sayin

It's a moot point here and now but I'd think if the documents are there to satisfy the program's requirements most dealers will get it to their lot so it can be "disabled", slap a sticker on it off to the smelter.
I was at junkyard recently and saw a couple of very nice later model cars that had been turned in. Most of them deserved to be put to rest though. Didn't see any BMs

angusbn
09-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Just sayin

It's a moot point here and now but I'd think if the documents are there to satisfy the program's requirements most dealers will get it to their lot so it can be "disabled", slap a sticker on it off to the smelter.
I was at junkyard recently and saw a couple of very nice later model cars that had been turned in. Most of them deserved to be put to rest though. Didn't see any BMs

ROSS - the car must be in good running condition and insured for the last 6 months. So yes, if I go this route, I can remove a number of parts (and I'll tell them I'm doing so). They salvage a number of parts apparently before final interment so there's a possibility someone will be pissed if I strip it clean. I really wish someone here can take it off my hands for a reasonable offer. Check out retireyourride.ca for more details.

repenttokyo
09-09-2009, 09:34 AM
angus - this is all you are getting for the car?

"We offer participants a wide range of rewards to retire their vehicles. When you Retire Your Ride, we will ensure that it is recycled responsibly, and give you rewards that encourage you to use environmentally-friendly transportation, including a public transit pass or a membership to a car-sharing program, $300 cash or a rebate on the purchase of a 2004 and newer vehicle.

In some regions, you could also receive a charitable tax receipt. So, not only are you helping to improve the environment, you’re contributing to charities. "

angusbn
09-09-2009, 09:42 AM
angus - this is all you are getting for the car?

"We offer participants a wide range of rewards to retire their vehicles. When you Retire Your Ride, we will ensure that it is recycled responsibly, and give you rewards that encourage you to use environmentally-friendly transportation, including a public transit pass or a membership to a car-sharing program, $300 cash or a rebate on the purchase of a 2004 and newer vehicle.

In some regions, you could also receive a charitable tax receipt. So, not only are you helping to improve the environment, you’re contributing to charities. "

repenttokyo - no Jeep Canada offers $1800 for a 2009/2010. Ford Canada offers $1k to $3k for a car, SUV, truck respectively.

angusbn
09-09-2009, 09:44 AM
1989 535i (08/88) E34 (M30 engine) - still my daily drive. Have all service records since 2006. Not winter driven since 2006. Repainted in 2006. Since 2006 I've replaced: 4 Summer Kuhmo tires, AC condenser, AC receiver dryer, all coolant hoses, water pump, t-stat, CPS, starter, front and back pads/rotors/calipers, middle/rear exhaust system, battery. Interior is 8.5/10 - no leather rips.

Problem areas:
AC needs work - I've tried Redtek Leak-Seal to no avail.
Heater core is by-passed - I think the o-rings are toast, not the heater core - I have new o-rings but don't have the inclination to take apart the dash.
Needs right wheel hub assembly.
Minor brake squeal.

For you E34 fans, this is a great deal as a daily drive, fixer-upper or donor car.

Any reasonable offer.

The CD player and front speakers are not included in this sale - I have the originals ones.

Located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Can send pics.

tim eh?
09-09-2009, 02:03 PM
wow oh wow. I knew we would get our own 'cash for clunkers', but I figured we'd get a little more than choosing between $300 or a 6 month bus pass :D wow!

I don't need anything from it sorry. Do you know maxbimmer.com? Betcha someone there would buy it for 5 bones or more.

angusbn
09-09-2009, 02:27 PM
wow oh wow. I knew we would get our own 'cash for clunkers', but I figured we'd get a little more than choosing between $300 or a 6 month bus pass :D wow!

I don't need anything from it sorry. Do you know maxbimmer.com? Betcha someone there would buy it for 5 bones or more.

For only $500, I'd instead take the Jeep incentive of $1800, strip it down, and sell the parts - the new exhaust cost $1k and I'll have it removed.

tim eh?
09-09-2009, 02:47 PM
For only $500, I'd instead take the Jeep incentive of $1800, strip it down, and sell the parts - the new exhaust cost $1k and I'll have it removed.

Oh I didn't see the Jeep incentive I thought you were going to trade it in for $300 and a $100 tax credit :D sorry, no insult intended just suggesting a quick scrapper alternative. I still don't see the jeep incentive.

Yeah exhausts are $$$$ here, I bought some muffler last year ... somebody might want to get on that.

***-
I still don't see the jeep incentive.
oh I see it now.

angusbn
09-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Oh I didn't see the Jeep incentive I thought you were going to trade it in for $300 and a $100 tax credit :D sorry, no insult intended just suggesting a quick scrapper alternative. I still don't see the jeep incentive.

Yeah exhausts are $$$$ here, I bought some muffler last year ... somebody might want to get on that.

***- oh I see it now.

www.jeep.ca

Ross
09-10-2009, 10:11 AM
ROSS - the car must be in good running condition and insured for the last 6 months. So yes, if I go this route, I can remove a number of parts (and I'll tell them I'm doing so). They salvage a number of parts apparently before final interment so there's a possibility someone will be pissed if I strip it clean. I really wish someone here can take it off my hands for a reasonable offer. Check out retireyourride.ca for more details.

Is it a manual or autobox?
If it's got a gearbox I'd be interested but the logistics of an international sale might queer the deal.

angusbn
09-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Is it a manual or autobox?
If it's got a gearbox I'd be interested but the logistics of an international sale might queer the deal.

Ross - it's a automatic transmission. Logistics are an issue yes. If I decide to to go the Retire Your Ride route, I'll be parting it out and listing those parts in this forum for others to buy.

angusbn
09-11-2009, 07:37 AM
My heart says not to dispose of the E34 so I'm not going with the Cash for Clunkers option. Must be the mystic powers of owning a E34. So I'm walking away from up to $3k in incentives to keep the car in the family. Thanks for everyones opinion.

Blair...

Ross
09-13-2009, 08:30 AM
http://www.funsilly.com/newimages/noogie.gif

lilcallaway
10-02-2009, 06:16 AM
I'd be interested in the whole part where the fog lights would be-that includes a lip, grill, and some covers...don't really need the fog lights themselves