PDA

View Full Version : thumpa thumpa is gone

Kibokojoe
09-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Last year I had struts installed and shortly after I started getting a thumping sound from the left front end when ever I would hit a bump. This morning I took the strut assembly out and discovered that the nut that holds the strut in the "lack of a better word" canister wasn't tight. Using two large pipe wrenches I tightened it down. Reinstalled and the noise is gone. :). Also wanted to say prior to purchasing a harbor freight clam style spring compressor I always had to take the strut assemblies to a shop. Now I can do it myself. I was skeptical but after using the compressor I am delighted. It worked perfectly $40.00 USD and I had a 20% coupon....ha pretty good deal. . I have used the widow maker style of compressors before and had one let go. Thank God the spring was on the bench and I was away from the bench. Pretty wild to see. But once is enough. That is why I always took them to a shop. Anyway the clam worked great on the front springs how does it do on the back springs? I am looking into purchasing a lowering spring kit, any suggestions? Sach? Eibach? How about back shocks? While I have the back springs out anything I should replace?

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Eibach, replace he bumpstops, spring pads and mounts while your in there.

Kibokojoe
09-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Bump stops in the rear...correct? No stops on the front.

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Bump stops in the rear...correct? No stops on the front.

Depends on the struts and shocks.

Biliies have an internal bump stops so the OEM one is no longer needed.

But if you go Sachs/Boge, you'll need trimmed down stops in the front. I leave the full OEM stop in the rear to help keep my ass off the curbs.