PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried to reuse a Head Gasket

Mordan
09-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Hello

I want to try it. for the sake of the experiment. the headgasket is perfect condition.. Top brand. was used for 2000 miles. I don't understand how it would fail me.
had to remove the head because of a bad head job by the machine shop.

mzarifkar
09-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Hello

because of a bad head job by the machine shop.
:p

shogun
09-03-2009, 04:36 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10737&highlight=headgasket+seal

whiskychaser
09-03-2009, 04:40 PM
My understanding is that if its a composite gasket you should throw it away. But if its a metal one you may be able to re-use it. Not sure how you clean the oil and crap off it and make it sit exactly where it was before though :D TBH I'd use a new one whatever it type it was. Wish you success with the experiment!

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-04-2009, 01:10 AM
No

once it has been torqued down, it is done and needs to be replaced along with the bolts.

Mordan
09-04-2009, 03:01 AM
My understanding is that if its a composite gasket you should throw it away. But if its a metal one you may be able to re-use it. Not sure how you clean the oil and crap off it and make it sit exactly where it was before though :D TBH I'd use a new one whatever it type it was. Wish you success with the experiment!

thx.

yea it is a big fat hard metal one. Goetze brand. The gasket I received from the machine shop is thinner, composite and bends. The used one does not.

the head has not been resurfaced.. just the exhaust seats were changed.

I have new bolts though. It is not that I'm cheap. Money is not a problem and I have another head gasket. I just really want to learn if it is possible and reliable.

Ross
09-04-2009, 08:38 AM

I've seen guys re-anneal copper head gaskets and reuse them on motorcycles.
Anything with a steel fire ring is junk once used.
Don't even think of it.

whiskychaser
09-04-2009, 01:33 PM
thx.

yea it is a big fat hard metal one. Goetze brand. The gasket I received from the machine shop is thinner, composite and bends. The used one does not.

the head has not been resurfaced.. just the exhaust seats were changed.

I have new bolts though. It is not that I'm cheap. Money is not a problem and I have another head gasket. I just really want to learn if it is possible and reliable.
What do Goetze say about re-using the HG? Yeah they are in the business of selling them so I doubt they will say yes. But is it worth asking the question? You can re-use some Cosworth steel HGs. The caveat being this is something I wouldnt do!:D