PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Rebuild - Wow! What a Difference

GoldenEagleFan
08-31-2009, 09:00 PM
Big thanks to all who contribute to this site. Especially Lowell's great write up (http://www.bmw4life.com/suspensionLowellFB.htm) on a rebuild. All the helpful hints made a difference in my confidence of doing this job.

It took a while, 12 hours total ( a couple beers and plenty of smoke breaks) including new struts, right control arms, rear links, diff and transmission fluid change, but what a difference.

The ride is so nice and tight, absolutely no more clunks, wiggles, groans, etc.

Thought I would share a few things I learned while doing this job.

1) One of the front struts, I could not for the life of me get the top nut off. Struggled with breaker bar, shaved socket to get a wrench on, etc. Thought I might need to break down and buy the "special" strut socket with clearance for a key instead of the vise grips holding a key when the light bulb went on. Take the retaining nut off of the strut housing! Was able to sneak a pipe wrench in between the spring coils, and with the spring compressed slightly was able to get the collar off, then the strut rod in the table top clamp and a good 2 foot breaker bar was able to get the nut off. In the heat of the moment it took a half hour of struggle before it dawned on me this would work. Thought I'd share if anyone else ran into this.

2) I had been poking around for a year trying to figure out where my front clunk was coming from. Once I had the strut towers off it became very apparent where the issue was. Bad ball joints on both of the right control arms. It was actually relatively easy to get the strut tower off and once that degree of freedom is available, it is so easy to see where the issue is.

3) Search key is your friend. There is so much valuable information here, and the more I researched and weighed options, by time I had saved the money for the rebuild, I knew the steps forward and backward before I started. Made the job enjoyable!

4) Having another car for a back-up helps in knowing you are not rushed when you run into the unexpected (control arms), you can relax, take your time and when it gets late, can quit and take it up the next day or so and not get into a panic and make a mistake.

5) BMA rocks! The control arms were from there and I simply asked when I ordered them on a Wednesday when the ground shipment would come. A lady was helping me, sorry don't know the name, and when she said probably next Monday or Tuesday, without me even asking she offered to send them overnight, their charge, so I would have them by Friday and be able to have my car back together for the next work week. Now that is customer service!

Thanks again for the support!