PDA

View Full Version : Received the Korman adjustable cam gear.

Martin in Bellevue
06-09-2004, 08:42 PM
It seems kinda interesting.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Martin5er/kormanCamGear.jpg

-JoeS
06-10-2004, 12:12 AM
Good luck.

Martin in Bellevue
06-10-2004, 12:32 AM
This is actually going to Jeff for his metric mechanic fixed position(s) gear. He wants this one for that crazy cam.

JeremyT
06-10-2004, 12:51 AM
Martin, what kind of crazy camshaft does Jeff have? in the m30? I'm looking at putting the schrick cam in the spare M30 i'm about to rebuild for my 535. Thanks!
BTW- I was in your neck of the woods in April. My brother lives in Seattle, the Queen Anne area.

Martin in Bellevue
06-10-2004, 03:38 AM
Howdy Jeremy, Jim Rowe is secretive about the specs on his latest metric mechanic cam. Jeff doesn't know for sure. I ordered a 284 regrind from ireland. I am looking forward to the process.

You should let me hear from ya next time you're up here. We can drink some of Jeff's beer, I'm sure.

-joes
06-10-2004, 08:07 AM
So, Is this cam gear some covert purchase to slip under the Nord family financial audit committe?

Jeff N.
06-10-2004, 09:26 AM
We're gonna try rolling in 2 degrees of advance on Martin's (more or less) stock setup. We'd like to try the 7 degree setting on my car.

It's as close to wife swapping as Martin'll get...

Martin in Bellevue
06-10-2004, 09:53 AM
We can put that mm cam gear on my new regrind cam when that goes together, at 2 degrees.

Jeff N.
06-10-2004, 10:37 AM
We can put that mm cam gear on my new regrind cam when that goes together, at 2 degrees.

-JoeS
06-10-2004, 10:46 AM
I am thinking about going back to TDC with no advance. With the 3.73 lsd rear end - I got torque o' plenty. Yeah - martin those little tinny winny bushings did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling either.

Jeff - If you are looking for monster advance, wouldn't just jumping a tooth on the stock cam gear advance it about 9 degress? Or is that to much and would be approaching the danger zone.

Martin in Bellevue
06-10-2004, 10:59 AM
I'm just ready to step up to a head rebuild with the 284.

Oh yeah, last night, got bored & went to garage. I tapped that new oil cannister & moved the pressure sensor to it. It seems great & lends ideas to your (& Scotty's) needs for a second oil pressure sender.

Jeff N.
06-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Can't remember.

I'm running 8 degree's currently. Basically have the chain advanced 1 tooth (+10) and the gear set to -2 for a total of +8.

Car pings at 5k+ with a tuner (Conforti, Eat, RD) chip, no ping with a stock chip. Thinking I have too much ignition advance for the cam setting. We'll try backing off the cam 1 degree or maybe get a custom, blended chip with less ignition advance in this area.

Still have the flat spot in 3k area but it's better with the cam advanced. Suspect its fuel related (lean/rich), might try to figure out which this weekend via sniffing the O2 sensor voltage. Tuner chips work better off cam than the stock chip.

Jeff

-joes
06-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Schrick
Intake/ exhaust 284/280
Cam lift 8.7/8.6
Valve lift @ TDC 1.9/1.7
Valve clearance 0.25/0.25

632 Regal
06-10-2004, 07:21 PM
dude with a performance cam you have absolutly NO CLUE what its at when you drop it in...period! You say +2 degrees +7 degrees +1 tooth but - 2 degrees, you are totally fishing in the wrong pool here. If you do not degree the cam in from the get go you have no clue...I used them bushings that say +2 or what not and guess what? they were completely wrong... no flame just degree the **** so you know where you are at.

guess im done here
Jeff

Jeff N.
06-10-2004, 07:49 PM
Basically, we're quoting angle mods from the stock installation and just bolting it up.

We did do a basic degreeing procedure (measured expected lobe lift vs. actual lobe lift at TDC) and it was close.

It's been part of the fun the tinkering...the learning. :)

Jeff

dude with a performance cam you have absolutly NO CLUE what its at when you drop it in...period! You say +2 degrees +7 degrees +1 tooth but - 2 degrees, you are totally fishing in the wrong pool here. If you do not degree the cam in from the get go you have no clue...I used them bushings that say +2 or what not and guess what? they were completely wrong... no flame just degree the **** so you know where you are at.

guess im done here
Jeff