PDA

View Full Version : NO Crank - OBC reads PPPP Please, HELP!

zuzuk212
08-29-2009, 04:49 PM
I just changed my starter. Disconnected the battery when I did it. Did have issues firing yesterday, but it did crank and finally fired. Drove it about 20 miles. When having problems firing ... I checked for spark (hope this didn't fry the elec. system?) But it did start and drove:p

I later noticed that the OBC would not turn off ... I didn't bother to set the time so it was just dashes, didn't make a difference when set it ... I did not notice if it had PPPP or not when I started it the first time. Any way I don't know if the code button screwed up the OBC but no matter how many times I dis/reconnect the battery the OBC reads PPPP and the starter will not crank, there is no voltage supplied to the starter.

The stranger things are that the OBC will not turn off and the wiper mist function does not work ... the wipers will work but will not return home.

Spoke to a BMW service advisor ... he thinks it the charging system, I doubt this but have the battery trickle charging to try again. He also said that there is nothing that would disable the starter?

What I have tried or checked without results:
- Starter receives NO voltage, checked with meter

- Tried locking and unlocking the doors

- Can input date/time, can not do a reset or unlock the OBC, every time I dis/reconnect the battery PPPP & OBC will not turn off

- Checked every fuse I could find, with meter, in the engine bay and under back seat, including the hidden fuse (thanks shogun)
The only blown fuse is 25 which is for the aux fan ... so, I will have another issue to solve later

- Disconnected the secret fuse and connector to it (thanks to girl from Romania)

- Taken out the OBC, blew bulbs

- Sprayed contact cleaner on CCM contacts (thanks shogun)

+ I'm about to put the dash back in after spraying and checking connections

Please, help. :(
It's a 93 525 manual
Thanks,
Ken

Tiger
08-29-2009, 04:59 PM
I think something is wrong with your starter... or you put wrong wire on wrong terminal. It is possible that the starter has some internal short that keeps draining your battery.... so the starter is bad to begin with.

zuzuk212
08-29-2009, 05:05 PM
I think something is wrong with your starter... or you put wrong wire on wrong terminal. It is possible that the starter has some internal short that keeps draining your battery.... so the starter is bad to begin with.

But, I reconnected the starter correctly and it cranked & started yesterday. Today, there is no voltage supplied to the starter. It can't crank without voltage. I don't think that the battery is being drained ... I'm trickle charging just to rule it out.
Thanks,
Ken