PDA

View Full Version : Hose clamp, multi use, "slip"?

Gene in NC
08-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Hose clamp, multi use, "slip"? General advice on original clamps is single use. This one has been reused several/many times.

Could the thing slip?. Something happened after really tight clamp pressure on an old hose.

Tiger
08-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Yes, it can slip. I don't gamble on hose clamps. I reused it on a Mercedes and that damn thing doesn't tighten enough so it keep seeping... new clamp and all is well.

Ross
08-28-2009, 09:01 AM
I reuse them all the time. IF they come off easily and aren't rusty I oil 'em and re-use. You'll feel it give if it doesn't tighten properly.

Gene in NC
08-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Wasn't the clamp. Was the hose.

whiskychaser
08-28-2009, 10:17 AM
I reuse them all the time. IF they come off easily and aren't rusty I oil 'em and re-use. You'll feel it give if it doesn't tighten properly.
x1
Got fed up of digging holes in my hand when the screwdriver slipped so I've been using a socket for a long time now:D

DaveVoorhis
08-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Old hoses turn hard and leak where they connect, and the clamps bend and get crusty. Replace 'em all, I say. They're cheap; lost coolant isn't.

Gene in NC
08-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Clamps, hoses, coolant are all cheap. Head gaskets, engines and maybe even your life, depending on location of the breakdown, are not cheap.

However, it is a PITA to go for a clamp, especially for the narrow BMW type. The wide box parts store clamps work for many hose ends but i find some are tough to do w/o OEM style.