PDA

View Full Version : a couple of electrical problems E39

tim eh?
08-26-2009, 03:51 PM
A buddy had the fuel pump replaced on his '98 528i.

Since doing this it is doing a bizarre thing. With the key on accessory it displays the proper reading on the fuel gauge and on the range calculator, but when he turns the car on he gets readings of zero.

The car wasn't there but he showed me the old fuel pump assembly. It has a square 4-pin plug that has two pink wires going to the sender and 2 thicker wires that I assume are +/- to the pump itself. But there is another roundish 3-pin plug that doesn't seem to connect to anything there, it just sits on the top of the assembly.

On realOEM it lists it I think as being available per request (????)

I said I'd try to help when he has the car so I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas first.... or could point me to an EWD.

Also the srs light is on. He said he hooked it up to 'a machine' that gave a passenger seat sensor error. My first guess is that you have to do more than just replace the sensor. My e34 doesn't have an airbag or I would have experienced this kind of failure before I am sure- would one of those reset tools that shogun's friend sells work on an E39?