PDA

View Full Version : OT: has anyone else had a bad experience w/ pepboys futura tires

ryan roopnarine
08-24-2009, 03:28 PM
tires? had the worst blowout I've ever had since I started getting flat tires 10 years ago. was driving the taurus with the CC set to 65 and noticed a noise/vibration similar to a flat spot yesterday. I accelerated to 75 to pass a vehicle and noticed that the car was on the verge of shaking violently. about 10 minutes after this, i hear a tremendous BANG and see a piece of tread flying up from the passenger side wheel well and flying over the top of the car. the carcass was beyond f'd up. luckily, i had two jacks in the car, so I was able to swap the back tire to the drive wheels and install the spare on the back. all in all, i picked up some very unsightly fingernail looking markings on the fender, had the plastic wheel liner ripped out, got a hole in the washer resivoir as well as having the pump fall out and drag along the road, and I think that the fender light is hanging (didn't examine it very carefully). i think that there may also be a little bit of a gap in the front fender that wasn't there before.

i've had 10 flats in 10 years, 3 at highway speeds, and this one was unlike anything that has ever happened to me. the internet doesn't seem to like the futura tires at all, and after this happened, I would rather buy a used name brand tire than roll with a new futura. anyone else have bad experiences with these turds?

ps...after being able to drive away from this incident, i can see that ford designed the over-well area very well. the washer bottle and well liner saved my a/c hardware, belt drive, and engine components in the area from damage. my friend's cousin's late model honda civic needed a fender replacement after the same thing happened to him.

Tiger
08-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Futura? Geez... I would never buy a brand like that. There are alot of new off brands that I never heard of but are made and sold by major tire manufacturers...

Good Year sells Fierce, Federal and another brand that I forgot... they are basically older tech tires from GY.

ryan roopnarine
08-24-2009, 03:48 PM
i don't even remember the circumstances that put the tire on the car, as it has 3 90% tread goodyear regattas and the one futura.

Ross
08-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Tread seperation.
Even on a crapola tire like that I'd still suspect it was run underinflated at some point.
Have a look inside the tire when it's dismounted. I'll bet the remains of the tubeless liner are dust.
Futura is the one they advertise @ 4/$200 installed. I think they are gauranteed until your tail light are out of sight.
I had a tire failure while traveling out of town so pulled in at the nearest service station who sold me a used set for over $200. I found out later what they were. Truely a crap tire but round(mostly) and black.

Interceptor
08-24-2009, 05:08 PM
I had a Nankang NS-2 fail during highway driving @ 100 mph. The tyre separated from the ring that holds it on the rim. Luckily, I have forged rims so no damage to it, and managed to slow down by using evasive maneuvers and light braking.

Russell
08-25-2009, 11:25 AM
++1

bmwrp8
08-27-2009, 12:36 AM
once i used uniroyal brand. just a slight pothole and it exploded. Tried the achilles brand too (235/45 17) Had it for a year already so far everything is fine...fingers crossed;)