PDA

View Full Version : crib for my bimmers

Kibokojoe
08-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Started ground breaking on my two car garage. :) 20' x 24'. Its a little larger than my current garage but its all mine and it will be insulated. Here in Ohio it stays cold about 6 months out of the year. It will be nice to work on what ever I want even when the snow is blowing.

Here are the first pics

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj225/kibokojoe/DSCF2028.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj225/kibokojoe/DSCF2029.jpg

BMWDriver
08-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Nice!

Sam-Son
08-22-2009, 06:09 PM
sweet ...a garage is always a nice thing to have...

Grantus
08-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Will you be putting any insulation under the concrete floor?

bubba966
08-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Better yet, doing a heated floor?

Kibokojoe
08-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Nope nothing that fancy. But the building will be insulated including the doors

632 Regal
08-23-2009, 10:26 AM
at least think about dumping a couple inches of perlite under the (floor) concrete. You can get huge bags on 'tha bay' for cheap and the difference will be amazing. love them ratwalls man, just like a garage I built years ago, so thick the floor will never move or crack. If you do the perlite thing make sure to run a sprinkler over it for 24 hours, running a sprinkler on the freshly hardened concrete for 2 weeks will help it dry even harder.... learned this stuff from an old Italian mason, RIP.

whiskychaser
08-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Come clean. Thats not footings for a garage, its for a house:D Er...isnt it?

Kibokojoe
08-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Shouldn't the garage be bigger than the house?

shogun
08-24-2009, 06:33 AM
nice. If you want to have it cheap, then something like these is o.k.
http://www.mdmshelters.com/
Have the same problem, too many days on weekends raining and cannot work on the cars, or too hot now in summer. Just need something which protects from weather.
Got one from COSTCO for about $500, 6 x 4 meters, with plastic window, a front 'door', some air circulation openings, rigid steel frame. Something similar to what COSTCO USA is selling here, but probably a bit smaller and the cover material is less thick
http://www.costco.ca/Common/Search.aspx?whse=BCCA&topnav=&search=10325109&ec=BCCA-EC780-CatHome&pos=21&Ntt=10325109&N=0&lang=en-CA

My buddy has a nice big garage with a pit, airtools, aircondition,wheel balancing machine, tire changer and and all the other goodies we are dreaming of. But I do not want to bother him too much, so that is the cheapest solution to survive bad weather. Maybe in winter I install a small portable gas stove.
http://www.costco.ca/Common/Search.aspx?whse=BCCA&topnav=&search=10325109&ec=BCCA-EC780-CatHome&pos=21&Ntt=10325109&N=0&lang=en-CA

Ross
08-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Three across and one sideways behind.
NO bicycles, garden tools or lawnmowers allowed!
Two suggestions; put in a floor drain if you are allowed and start looking for a beer fridge.

Kibokojoe
08-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Yes pit with grate is going in for sure. Will have to hand bale but its nice for when you dump the radiator. Yes fridge and cable :)

tim eh?
08-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Yes pit with grate is going in for sure. Will have to hand bale but its nice for when you dump the radiator. Yes fridge and cable :)

nice - I am jealous of your patch of dirt already I think I'll ignore the 'finished' thread ;).

eaglecomm
08-24-2009, 11:05 AM
at least think about dumping a couple inches of perlite under the (floor) concrete. You can get huge bags on 'tha bay' for cheap and the difference will be amazing. love them ratwalls man, just like a garage I built years ago, so thick the floor will never move or crack. If you do the perlite thing make sure to run a sprinkler over it for 24 hours, running a sprinkler on the freshly hardened concrete for 2 weeks will help it dry even harder.... learned this stuff from an old Italian mason, RIP.

So what's Perlite and how does it help? I see some on ebay as you mentioned and it says 'product made for mixing in concrete to make whatever you’re doing lighter in weight'. But not sure how that would help? Why do you need a lighter concrete floor? And were you saying to add 2 inches underneath the concrete? Or mixing it in with the first 2 inches of concrete? We may end up building some garage space in the next house so it would be nice to understand what I don't understand. :)

Also, how often during the 2 weeks should the concrete be watered? Once a day for a few minutes?

Thanks.

Kibokojoe
08-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Talked to the concrete man. He is going to insulate under the floor. Says they have done this on several projects where it was necessary to maintain a specific temperature in the building. Thanks for the idea

632 Regal
08-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Not to mix it in the concrete, that would make it too weak and brittle, as a base layer right under the concrete for insulation.

So what's Perlite and how does it help? I see some on ebay as you mentioned and it says 'product made for mixing in concrete to make whatever you’re doing lighter in weight'. But not sure how that would help? Why do you need a lighter concrete floor? And were you saying to add 2 inches underneath the concrete? Or mixing it in with the first 2 inches of concrete? We may end up building some garage space in the next house so it would be nice to understand what I don't understand. :)

Also, how often during the 2 weeks should the concrete be watered? Once a day for a few minutes?

Thanks.

632 Regal
08-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Do your research on the pit, there was one in my barn and it was useless, too shallow yet too deep, no stairs or access to electricity, where to put tools? Ended up filling it with pea gravel and topping it with concrete.