PDA

View Full Version : Sparkplugs soaked in oil! :(

Bo525i
08-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Have had some minor powerlosses @ speed and wanted to change the sparkplugs on my M60.. I opened up and found a scary amount of oil in and around the plugs :(

Could it be the no. 15 and 16 gaskets as seen here: http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E34/Touring/Europe/530i-M60/LHD/A/1995/may/browse/engine/cylinder_head_cover/

Or should I look elsewhere for the leak?

Jehu
08-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Have had some minor powerlosses @ speed and wanted to change the sparkplugs on my M60.. I opened up and found a scary amount of oil in and around the plugs :(

Could it be the no. 15 and 16 gaskets as seen here: http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E34/Touring/Europe/530i-M60/LHD/A/1995/may/browse/engine/cylinder_head_cover/

Or should I look elsewhere for the leak?

That is normally the cure.. remember also to replace the 22 gromets

Bo525i
08-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Do you mean no. 7, 8 and 9 @ http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E34/Touring/Europe/530i-M60/LHD/A/1995/may/browse/engine/cylinder_head_cover/

Jehu
08-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Do you mean no. 7, 8 and 9 @ http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E34/Touring/Europe/530i-M60/LHD/A/1995/may/browse/engine/cylinder_head_cover/

Primarily just #9 Rubber Seal(on my M60 there are 22) should be replaced as they tend to break from the heat if very old but of course you really can not always know that you will not find other needs as you do the job.. bolts as far as I know are normally reusable but as they are inexpensive maybe its wise to have them on hand..

632 Regal
08-22-2009, 08:15 PM
just #9 should suffice. I didnt replace mine and they sealed up fine. just be careful that the gasket stays where it's supposed to, pretty easy to mess this up as you cant see how it lays down.
Primarily just #9 Rubber Seal(on my M60 there are 22) should be replaced as they tend to break from the heat if very old but of course you really can not always know that you will not find other needs as you do the job.. bolts as far as I know are normally reusable but as they are inexpensive maybe its wise to have them on hand..

Bo525i
08-23-2009, 05:34 AM
Guys youŽre gold! Thx a lot! :)

Jehu
08-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Guys youŽre gold! Thx a lot! :)

Maybe its obvious but you'd benefit from at l;east one other pair of hands when trying to replace the covers.. you know , Gravity and all.. or are you already done? I bet Regal would say replacing the Coil Boots is excessive too.. it was suggested to me that Oil weakens Rubber which could result in some spark arcing out thru compromised boots.. I went ahead with it for the modest cost..

Bo525i
08-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Thx for the pointers Jehu, and no I havenŽt begun yet but IŽll be sure to check all the boots as they are indeed soaked in oil!

632 Regal
08-23-2009, 06:42 PM
if the boots are fairly new they can be cleaned up, if they are of the 20+ year variety replace em.
Thx for the pointers Jehu, and no I havenŽt begun yet but IŽll be sure to check all the boots as they are indeed soaked in oil!

Bo525i
08-23-2009, 07:41 PM
if the boots are fairly new they can be cleaned up, if they are of the 20+ year variety replace em.

They look fairly new, but who knows ;) But IŽll give Žem a thorough check and replace if needed!

Jehu
08-23-2009, 09:25 PM
They look fairly new, but who knows ;) But IŽll give Žem a thorough check and replace if needed!

I also was experiencing some hesitation under high demand acceleration. A number of causes were discussed. One was water condensation in the gas tank. Appropriate additive to eliminate water in the gasoline was used but didn't fix this problem.. The hesitation would appear as a seeming miss-fire while accelerating usually up hill in a third or higher gear ( manual shift) with hard acceleration.. Another issue which I discovered was the Rubber Cap which fits over an unused vacuum Port on the Intake Manifold Cover at the rear of the Intake Manifold. That had cracked or split open and it was suggested could be affecting compression due to faulty sealing of the intake compartment. I replaced that and still found this occasional miss-fire to be present.. Eventually the entire Intake Manifold+ Cover+ Throttle were re-sealed as well as the valve Cover gaskets,new Spark Plugs and Coil Boots. The engine will now run smoothly where it had previously stumbled and it was suggested The Miss-Firing may have been caused by loss of spark thru a faulty coil boot thus my recommendation. Since mine were Original thus 15 years old I chose to replace them but if they show no cracking whatsoever under close inspection I would have confidence in their integrity and since replacing them is always an easy job no major urgency.. Let us know if you fix the issue..