PDA

View Full Version : m-tech springs

darron525
06-09-2004, 02:41 PM
woud m tech springs with stock shocks be okay for a 93 525i with 18 inch m parallels, or would it be too much of a drop for 18's.
this is for the front only

Darron

AllanS
06-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Mtech springs won't drop the car much- it brings it around the height of an m5. Should be fine.

Tiger
06-09-2004, 02:54 PM
As long as the gap is smaller than the sidewall of the tire, it will not look 'floated'. However, if you want low rider look... then Eibach and other will do

darron525
06-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Mtech springs won't drop the car much- it brings it around the height of an m5. Should be fine.
would it be an improvement over stock springs, and would i need anything else? not really looking for a huge drop.

thanks,
darron

avitt2
06-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Here is a picture of M-Tech springs, Bilstein Touring Struts, and 17" wheels. Not much of a drop...

http://members.aol.com/avitt/MTechs.jpg

Unregistered
06-09-2004, 06:03 PM
That's looks like my stock spring height. I don't see any difference in height from stock to M-Tech.

Here is a picture of M-Tech springs, Bilstein Touring Struts, and 17" wheels. Not much of a drop...

http://members.aol.com/avitt/MTechs.jpg

darron525
06-09-2004, 07:43 PM
That's looks like my stock spring height. I don't see any difference in height from stock to M-Tech.
did you change the spring pad from 9mm to 3mm thats what Drew Z. another poster on the board?

Darron

avitt2
06-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Unfurtunately, no. I didn't know about 3mm pads, and went with what Maximillian Imports sold me. (Actually, I can't say for sure that they're not 3mm, but I assume they're the thicker pads).

If you subtract a little less than a quarter inch from the gap in the picture, you can see the difference the 3mm pads would have made.

darron525
06-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Unfurtunately, no. I didn't know about 3mm pads, and went with what Maximillian Imports sold me. (Actually, I can't say for sure that they're not 3mm, but I assume they're the thicker pads).

If you subtract a little less than a quarter inch from the gap in the picture, you can see the difference the 3mm pads would have made.

Im going with 18 inch m-parallels so it should fill be gap a little more but, probablly not much. Did your performance improve???

darron 93/525i

Unregistered
06-09-2004, 11:01 PM
You'll notice the gap more if you go with larger rims. Also, do you think 0.24 inch would make any difference by going with 3mm pad. 6mm=0.24 inch! That's it. Why not go with another aftermarket brand? I think E34 needs at least 1 inch drop in the front if you put 18" on.

Im going with 18 inch m-parallels so it should fill be gap a little more but, probablly not much. Did your performance improve???

darron 93/525i

darron525
06-09-2004, 11:19 PM
You'll notice the gap more if you go with larger rims. Also, do you think 0.24 inch would make any difference by going with 3mm pad. 6mm=0.24 inch! That's it. Why not go with another aftermarket brand? I think E34 needs at least 1 inch drop in the front if you put 18" on.

well I do not know but I was following the info in this post m tech springs (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=23202) which said if you use m tech springs with stock shocks and go with 3mm spring pads it will lower the car approx: 1 inch. And as I said before, im not looking for a huge drop, thats just not my flavor, although I have see both nice looking cars and horible looking cars with big drops but im not looking for that. As for after market suspension, every one says its a firmer ride and to me firm means rougher and I like the stocked ride.

darron 93/525i

Legrath
06-10-2004, 06:05 AM
Larger wheels will not fill the gap more than smaller wheels, as the total rolling radius of the smaller wheels and tyres compared to the larger wheels and typres should be same.

Also, the 18" wheels are likely to have more of an affect on ride quality than lowering springs(unless u went with very hard spring rates).

David
91 535i Sport
UK

Unregistered
06-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Ohhh, come on... You never seen a car go from 15" to 18"? Yes, the actual diameter is the same but it is more of a visual allusion. Try putting 18" or even 19" wheels on standard E34. Look at your car. Diamention is the same but doesn't look right!?!?! Looks like the car is jacked up! Also, gap is more noticeable! What could you say about optical allusion? I decided to go with 17" instead of 18" since I didn't what to change my springs. 17" doesn't look as bad as 18" if you have stock springs.

Larger wheels will not fill the gap more than smaller wheels, as the total rolling radius of the smaller wheels and tyres compared to the larger wheels and typres should be same.

Also, the 18" wheels are likely to have more of an affect on ride quality than lowering springs(unless u went with very hard spring rates).

David
91 535i Sport
UK

Legrath
06-10-2004, 06:50 PM
um, yes, I was agreeing with your previous post!!, and disagreeing with the other post (not yours) asking if 18" would lessen the gap.