PDA

View Full Version : AC question. Mechanic says blockage?

Abnormal
06-09-2004, 12:21 PM
It is blowing hot air, but the mechanic says it has a good charge. I just replaced the sword in early Februray. Is it possible that I may have blocked something that would allow the cold air to get to the system? What can I check out? Thanks in advance!

Unregistered
06-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Is the auxiliary fan working? Had the same problem on my 90/525i cause there was a piece of rubber stuck in the fan which broke the motor of the fan. Got the new fan from BMA for $200 and kind of an easy fix; just have to take out the front bumper and trim. Hope this helped. Good Luck!

Mr Project
06-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Is the compressor kicking in? You should be able to hear and feel when it comes on.

JR'Z 525
06-10-2004, 08:51 PM
I remember the desecant bag inside the filter drier rupturing on an 87 325 I used to own. Send the large granules all thru the system where they plugged up the compressor's suction side due to a built-in screen. My 525 doesn't have a built in suction screen. It might be a long shot but you could have something similar going on.
JR

Abnormal
06-11-2004, 08:49 AM
The expansion valve looks like it is under the Dash on the drivers side. Am I correct? I used a hanger and cleaned out a bunch of junk from the access hole for my sword. Now I am getting a little bit of cold air. Trying to figure out if I am heading in the right direction. :D

bill g
06-12-2004, 04:00 AM
Faulty heater water valve (stuck on) can cause hot air to mix with cold air from aircon so you get warm air. Seems to be a common problem with BMWs more than a few years old.

Bellicose Right Winger
06-12-2004, 06:36 AM
You might want to ask your mechanic if he meant a refrigerant blockage or air-flow-thru-evaporator blockage. Refrigerant blockage should show up as excessive high side pressure and very low, low side pressure, particularly as engine speed increases.

Paul Shovestul

The expansion valve looks like it is under the Dash on the drivers side. Am I correct? I used a hanger and cleaned out a bunch of junk from the access hole for my sword. Now I am getting a little bit of cold air. Trying to figure out if I am heading in the right direction. :D