PDA

View Full Version : Throttle linkage problem

ScottyWM
08-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Three times in the last two days, my throttle got stuck open (at maybe about 5000 rpm!) Had to brake to a stop, turn off the car, and then put it in park - not fun. Once I lifted the hood, the problem was apparant - the linkage (I think this is the cruise control one isn't it?) is messed up. The sheath is coming out and catching on the thing.... well, a picture might help:

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/371/371092/folders/282967/2421618throttle.JPG

I finally duct taped it so it won't come out like that. But is it busted? Should it be connected to the knurled nut thing? If it's broke, it's a very clean break and both of them are the same. I can't find the part on realOEM.com.

How's this supposed to be held in place?

ScottyWM
08-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Duh... Why don't I go out and look at the E36? Well look at that, same linkage, only it has a metal retainer holding it in. Evidentally, the E34 plastic has deteriorated and broken so that the metal retainers fell off. I checked pictures I took from a month ago when I took off the intake manifold and there were no retainers then either. Took off my temporary duct tape fix, and replaced it with a much more permanent wire tie fix. that should last another 10 years or so.