PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an old - dead aux fan out of an M30 e34 ?

Derek A.
06-09-2004, 12:18 PM
I need to replace mine. Am going to try and go aftermarket. I am looking for a digital picture with some mounting point dimensions so I can science out an aftermarket one for my 90 535i.

Thanks

ryan roopnarine
06-09-2004, 12:22 PM
have you attempted to see if an auto electrician can service your dead unit? surely it isn't any more complex than a regular electric motor.

I need to replace mine. Am going to try and go aftermarket. I am looking for a digital picture with some mounting point dimensions so I can science out an aftermarket one for my 90 535i.

Thanks

Derek A.
06-09-2004, 12:38 PM
The fan will not spin freely. I would guess that there is somthing damaged or seized inside.

ryan roopnarine
06-09-2004, 01:38 PM
i don't know if you are simply not fond of the idea, or perhaps have been down this road before, but....i sincerely doubt that it will cost that much to get a seized electric motor (like the aux fan source) running agan..perhaps something has broken off in there, it needs new bearings...I doubt it would be near the 180 that bma is asking for it.

The fan will not spin freely. I would guess that there is somthing damaged or seized inside.

Derek A.
06-09-2004, 03:18 PM
You figure that a high quality hi performance cooling fan runs about $65-$80. That seems much better than coughing up 2 bills + for a new BMW spec piece or trying to rebuiild a 12 year old motor that most people probably will turn their nose up at whe you say BMW. I would just like to get an idea of size before I rip the nose off the car to service the part.

BennyM
06-09-2004, 09:46 PM
$180 is nothin next to that. I, of course, am in the same boat and have yet to repair or replace mine either. Hope there is a cheap fix for this.

JeremyT
06-10-2004, 12:36 AM
Derek... you are in luck. I have been working on my 535 (repainting the engine bay & engine :D ) so I've got the fan sitting on the work bench. I'll take a few pictures tomorrow morning. What is your email so I can send the pic straight to you? Unless you guys want to see 'em....
-Jeremy

JeremyT
06-10-2004, 12:43 AM
BTW, the fan isn't very complex... just a simple electric motor, actually easy to service. There's a bunch of screws on the fan blade, then just clean out the sucker and possibly put in new bearings. Better to keep the original unit w/ resistor in place than to go with an aftermarket unit. Give Winfred a shout. He works at a great BMW salvage place a few hours from me. I'll bet you can get one from those guys for a great price. Or try Vines BMW in Alabama.