PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Cigarette lighter circuit mod [on/off via ignition switch]?

ktteoh
08-04-2009, 11:30 PM
folks,

i would like to have the cigarette lighter circuit switched (on/off) together with the ignition switch?

what is best/cleanest way of doing that?

Kibokojoe
08-05-2009, 07:42 AM
I would think the easiest would be to split a line from the radio power wire. But I don't know how much current is going to be drawn and if the radio power circuit can handle the additional load...Anyone?

whiskychaser
08-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Dont the later models work that way? Sure somebody who has one will chime in. The fuse on the cig lighter is 30 amp and I think that would burn the radio feed in no time. I'd suggest you might be able to use the radio feed to energise a relay though. This diagram is for the fan but if you ground pin 86 and supply pin 85 via the radio feed, you just need to cut the live to the cig lighter and connect the ends to pins 87 and 30.

Ross
08-08-2009, 09:58 AM
According to my Bentley wiring diagram the cig. lighter is a stand alone circuit protected by fuse # 26 and fed from a red wire to the power dist. box.
Split the fuse box, disconnect the red feed wire to fuse 26, connect a jumper between the green feed wire at fuse16 (which services the seat heaters) and the feed for fuse 26.
Both circuits are now switched.

whiskychaser
08-09-2009, 02:02 PM
According to my Bentley wiring diagram the cig. lighter is a stand alone circuit protected by fuse # 26 and fed from a red wire to the power dist. box.
Split the fuse box, disconnect the red feed wire to fuse 26, connect a jumper between the green feed wire at fuse16 (which services the seat heaters) and the feed for fuse 26.
Both circuits are now switched.
Only thing I can find wrong with this is if you need the fuse for the heated seats;) Its easy and elegant. I just wish I had thought of it:(

Ross
08-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Jumping the two wires won't effect the seat heat fuse. Both of the circuits now share a common feed, not a common fuse.