PDA

View Full Version : I'm in Ethiopia!

pingu
08-04-2009, 11:43 AM
This place if fab - cheap as chips, and decent coffee and beer - and food. I've been in Addis Ababa for over 2 weeks and haven't even seen the famous monuments in the north of the country.

On a car note, my E34 has gone to the great garage in the sky. RIP! Getting bodywork damage (err... my fault) repaired in the UK is so expensive.

I'm doing a lot of travelling and might get a motorbike on my return to the UK. Maybe a BMW one - I like the idea of shaft drive!

Hope you're all fine!

632 Regal
08-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Post lots of pictures!

whiskychaser
08-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Wow! Thats a bit more adventurous than Torquay!

pingu
08-06-2009, 10:22 AM
I'll be off to Sudan and Somaliand (i.e. not Somalia) in a while.

Ethiopia is a beaut. I'll post some pictures but the Internet access here is sloooo...oow. This page has taken 5 minutes to come up!

whiskychaser
08-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I'll be off to Sudan and Somaliand (i.e. not Somalia) in a while.

Ethiopia is a beaut. I'll post some pictures but the Internet access here is sloooo...oow. This page has taken 5 minutes to come up!
As corporal Jones might say, watch out for the Fuzzy Wuzzies.

tim eh?
08-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Too bad about your car. I took mine in for a quote on some bodywork just for a laugh. $1500 ... for the hood! :D Have a great trip!

M20Turbo
08-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Too bad about your car. I took mine in for a quote on some bodywork just for a laugh. $1500 ... for the hood! :D Have a great trip!

Body work is expensive, but you can do most of the prep work yourself. A new hood is around $500.00, not sure how bad yours are. The car is worth saving...

leicesterboy15
08-06-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm off to Newcastle tomorrow :)

Are you there on business or pleasure? I would never have considered going there but that might change now! I'm off to South Africa in November, not quite the same but still really looking forward to it!

Have a good trip and get lots of pics, how much is a beer?

...oh and any e34s?!!

whiskychaser
08-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm off to Newcastle tomorrow :)

Are you there on business or pleasure? I would never have considered going there but that might change now! I'm off to South Africa in November, not quite the same but still really looking forward to it!

Have a good trip and get lots of pics, how much is a beer?

...oh and any e34s?!!

The handbook for my car radio quotes all the stations in S Africa and Namibia. Unfortunately it doesnt do the same for Newcastle:D Draw your own conclusions. Hope you both have a good trip!

pingu
08-19-2009, 01:04 PM
You can probably find photos of the more famous monuments such as Gonder, Axum and Lalibella etc on Wikipedia.

Here's something more unusual and interesting:
not frogspawn but hailstones.

At the moment it's the rainy season in Addis Ababa and it rains most days (I feel at home!). Last night there was fog. Occasionally there are hailstones.

It's a green and pleasant land, though I'll be coming back in November (to visit a volcano, Erta Ale, with a permanent lava lake) after the rains have stopped so maybe things won't be quite so green then!