PDA

View Full Version : painting black bumper trim

BennyM
08-03-2009, 01:18 PM
I know it's been discussed before, but my research was not very conclusive. Since I have a lot of trim off right now, I thought I'd clean the pieces up and paint them with some kind of glossy black paint. I was thinking of using this Rust-Oleum black enamel spray sitting in my basement. I've never been able to find any info on what, if anything, will actually stick to that porous surface.
Anyone tried this?

BennyM

Ross
08-03-2009, 07:15 PM
If you do it use the proper additive to the paint that allows it to flex a bit. Those strips are there to absorb minor bumps.

Scott C
08-03-2009, 07:22 PM
My suggestion - go to a "real" auto body store and ask what they have over the counter. Most of the stuff I have seen is something like a black lacquer (I believe) which dries really fast and is easy to paint - remember prep is everything - clean all wax and oil and then a slight scuff usually with a scotchbrite (take the trim off first). They usually have two or three types of rattle can paints you can use. I used them on my RX-7...

Scott

I know it's been discussed before, but my research was not very conclusive. Since I have a lot of trim off right now, I thought I'd clean the pieces up and paint them with some kind of glossy black paint. I was thinking of using this Rust-Oleum black enamel spray sitting in my basement. I've never been able to find any info on what, if anything, will actually stick to that porous surface.
Anyone tried this?

BennyM

bubba966
08-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Go to an auto parts store or some other shop that would sell auto paints. There's specific bumper paints that flex a bit to resist cracking & peeling and are designed to adhere to the various materials bumpers are made out of.

Russell
08-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Krylon paint for plastic may work if they have a smooth satin black paint. I sprayed a faded garden hose holder and this stuff really sticks tight. Just a thought.

Best approach is to buy new trim pieces. I did this about 18 months ago after some front end damage.

bubba966
08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Krylon paint for plastic may work if they have a smooth satin black paint. I sprayed a faded garden hose holder and this stuff really sticks tight. Just a thought.

Best approach is to buy new trim pieces. I did this about 18 months ago after some front end damage.

Rattle can of proper bumper paint is $10 or less. All 6 bumper trim pieces costs a whole lot more than that. If they're not damaged there's no reason a decent coat of bumper paint isn't the way to go.

Russell
08-04-2009, 02:06 AM
I hear you. However, with paint there is aways the chance of paint chipping if there is an impact. while the original plastic parts will just scuff.

Kibokojoe
08-04-2009, 07:23 AM
I used bumper black several months back, no chipping no scuffing. This stuff sticks pretty good and is flexable. On my son's 7 the bumper is all one piece no bumper inserts. So I painted the bumpers/dam with Alpine White II and the trimed them out with bumper black. Looks pretty good.