PDA

View Full Version : the joy of getting there

ccrawford
06-09-2004, 08:26 AM
I wanted to share a little story about some real e34 love with those who share the passion. A few weeks ago I returned on a Friday to the Philly area after being away on business for the week and had to get up Saturday morning and drive to upstate NY to meet the wife and kid. Sitting there Friday evening at the house I clicked on the weather channel and noticed that Saturday was supposed to be a beauty.. which got me thinking. I decided that this was a great opportunity to spend some quality time with the e34 (an all original 1990 535i 5 speed with 80,000 miles). So, pulled it out of the garage, checked the fluids, and went to bed with a smile. (My other two options for the journey were a 2002 Volvo S60 and a 2002 330xi) I made the right choice! The aniticipation woke me up around 5:30 and I was on my way at 6am. After setting the dist on the computer at 264 miles I set out. Smooth and powerful, pulls like a freight train at speed.. nothing but pure driving satisfaction.. I had set the M MPH @ 100 and had to turn it off as the frequent alarm was wearing on my smile. So, 3 hours and 7 minutes later I arrived in time for a 9:30 tee time. Thats an 86 MPH average by my math. Not a whimper, not a squeak, not one ounce of oil burned, no shimmy.. just solid high speed cruising. And to think I was contemplating selling this gem.. well let me put that another way.. after this trip.. the Volvo is no longer with us.

bahnstormer
06-09-2004, 08:44 AM
hahah great story and good choice.
too few people really care about their cars, factoring
silly things in like mpg and repairs. if it brings a smile
to your face then its worth it i think.

rickm
06-09-2004, 08:52 AM
I don't think I could ever consider my e34 just an appliance. I love driving it, not because it looks good but because it's a great car. Smooth, quiet, solid. Wish I could say this about some of the other cars I've owned!

Jason
06-09-2004, 10:13 AM
every time i drive my 535 im impressed. it is still very smooth, solid, quiet and capable, even in the snow. I drove a late 90's acura RL... the car cant cold a candle to the 535 In fact, I would rather drive my 14, almost 15 yr old car on a long highway trip than my father's 2001 E430 merc, my car feels more firmly planted. Its just a great car.

Scott E
06-09-2004, 10:34 AM
I still choose to own and drive my e34. This is my 2nd e34, the first one was totalled while I was going 80mph on a SoCal freeway. I walked away with minor injuries.

I also own a 86' Isuzu Trooper which I use when I need cargo space for camping and such. After driving it I appreciate my e34 even more...lol

hahah great story and good choice.
too few people really care about their cars, factoring
silly things in like mpg and repairs. if it brings a smile
to your face then its worth it i think.

bahnstormer
06-09-2004, 11:05 AM
my car is anything but quiet=] rattles like crazy !
but that's why i love it adds character ! =]