PDA

View Full Version : vibrations in car @ 60mph +/- 5 mph

bimmerred535i
07-28-2009, 03:33 PM
I have had an ongoing vibration in my car that is kind of a pain in the arse. At 60 mph (sometimes 55-65) the car has a vibration in that can be felt in the driveshaft tunnel fading towards the rear of the car. Sometimes it is very violent and sometimes its smooth as if nothing is wrong. I thought that maybe i had a wheel out of balance, but I put my oem 15" 60 series tires back on and the vibration is not as bad, but is still very noticeable. Was wondering if anyone had run across this problem.

My guibo disc and bolts were replaced 15k miles ago, center driveshaft bearing 15k ago.

Logged onto realoem to see what bushings could have worn out in the rearend linkage, and saw that there is a vibration dampner that apparently goes over the guibo disc.

vibration dampner
V
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=47408&btnr=26_0034&hg=26&fg=10

whiskychaser
07-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Dont have a pic but mine looks same except I dont have the damper in the diagram

Qube
07-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Sure it's not the u-joint or center bearing?

Paul in NZ
07-29-2009, 03:29 AM
sure it isnt THE shimmy?

Tiger
07-29-2009, 08:17 AM
You know... it really sounds like thrust arm bushing is bad... when you tap on the brake at that speed... does it worsen?

Ross
07-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Rotate tires around and see what happens.
That vibration dampener is pretty much worthless. Most get discarded when the Guibo is done the first time. I've spoken to a well regarded driveshaft builder who told me that if the shaft is missing it when the core comes in they don't bother with replacing it. Unless it is in place and falling apart causing an imbalance I would discount the dampener.
Center bearing support maybe, but usually you get a low speed thumping also.

bimmerred535i
07-29-2009, 11:24 AM
You know... it really sounds like thrust arm bushing is bad... when you tap on the brake at that speed... does it worsen?

Thrust arm bushings were just replaced so i pray thats not the case but the vibration is coming from the middle to rear of the car.

bubba966
07-29-2009, 02:06 PM
My guibo disc and bolts were replaced 15k miles ago, center driveshaft bearing 15k ago.

If the preload wasn't set properly on the driveshaft when the driveshaft bearing was replaced it's not uncommon for that bearing to be destroyed by now.

I'd get a look at that center bearing if I was you...