PDA

View Full Version : door reinforcing plates...anyone interested?

Kibokojoe
07-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Ok guys got the prices back on the reinforcement plates. Looks like it will be around $8.00 USD per plate. If I get enough interest I will have them made. Plates will be made from 1/8" stainless steel so you don't have to paint them :).

genphreak
07-28-2009, 03:17 AM
Ok guys got the prices back on the reinforcement plates. Looks like it will be around $8.00 USD per plate. If I get enough interest I will have them made. Plates will be made from 1/8" stainless steel so you don't have to paint them :).If they are nicely finished (I am sure they will be) and the fastener problems are sorted out I'm up for 6 (three sets).

BigKriss
07-28-2009, 04:00 AM
i'm up for front door plates also

Kibokojoe
07-28-2009, 07:00 AM
Fastener problems?

ss2115
07-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Hi.Can someone explain what these are about?
Is it something I should be considering for my E34 touring?

Kibokojoe
07-28-2009, 10:42 AM
This should help outhttp://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41189

Kibokojoe
07-28-2009, 10:44 AM
It looks like I have enough interest so I will have them make one to insure my dimension are correct and then have 50 made. (smallest quanity he will make)

tim eh?
07-28-2009, 01:02 PM
It looks like I have enough interest so I will have them make one to insure my dimension are correct and then have 50 made. (smallest quanity he will make)

I'm in for a pair.

edit- make that 2 pairs.

ss2115
07-28-2009, 04:39 PM
This should help outhttp://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41189

Thank you - its very clear now.
I don't have this problem (yet) but doesn't mean it won't happen. Depends on how long I keep the BM I guess.

It seems to make better sense to place an inner and outer plate and sandwich the door frame to prevent flexing as shown on the German forum.

Could the inner plate be a thinner gauge s/steel and the outer be a bit beefier s/steel?

I'd be very interested as a preventative measure in these plates.

Paul in NZ
07-28-2009, 07:18 PM
i will be up for a pair(front) if this is whats happened here

my front door has always been noisy and a bit sticky to open and close.The other day there was a slight "ping", i heard something small and metallic fall INSIDE the door,now my front door is free to swing.....

Kibokojoe
07-28-2009, 07:29 PM
There are two designs. Doors that are already blown out use two plates. My plates will be for doors that are not broken so you can use a single plate. The design flaw is that all of the stress is on the two bolts. The metal plate distributes the stress over the entire plate. Pretty easy to install just remove the pin and the two bolts.

Here is a rough drawing of the installation
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj225/kibokojoe/platesetup.jpg

Kibokojoe
07-28-2009, 07:32 PM
I will let everyone know when I have the plates, take it easy on your doors until I get them :)

ss2115
07-28-2009, 08:15 PM
There are two designs. Doors that are already blown out use two plates. My plates will be for doors that are not broken so you can use a single plate. The design flaw is that all of the stress is on the two bolts. The metal plate distributes the stress over the entire plate. Pretty easy to install just remove the pin and the two bolts.

Here is a rough drawing of the installation
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj225/kibokojoe/platesetup.jpg

Are they just for the rear doors, or are they for front doors as well?
And - does the rubber still go back over the plates?

Kibokojoe
07-28-2009, 08:19 PM
These are for the front doors and yes the rubber goes over the bolts. Once I have the plates I will create a full installation documentation with pics. Never thought of using these for the back doors. Back doors don't get the work out the fronts do.

BigKriss
07-29-2009, 07:35 AM
is there a paypal account we can send money to?

genphreak
07-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Ah, so these are for unbroken doors only. OK: No fastener problems at all, it seems like the standard bolts will suffice. They sound great...

Kibokojoe
07-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Yes there will be but wait till I get them into my hands. I want to make sure they meet all of my standards :). Iz kind of picky that way

ss2115
07-29-2009, 05:22 PM
These are for the front doors and yes the rubber goes over the bolts. Once I have the plates I will create a full installation documentation with pics. Never thought of using these for the back doors. Back doors don't get the work out the fronts do.

I have one rear door thats kind of stiff, so I'd be interested to know if these will be suitable for the rear doors as well, or should they be a slightly different shape.

The rear doors look as if they have a much wider and flatter surface than the front doors, but as you point out, its not the surface area of the door frame but distributing the force under the bolt heads themselves.

genphreak
08-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Yes there will be but wait till I get them into my hands. I want to make sure they meet all of my standards :). Iz kind of picky that waySounds good... be sure to take your time- quality and time is always key to a job well done.... :) Nick

Steven G
08-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Hi,
Please count me in for a pair of front doors.

Luke
08-14-2009, 07:49 PM
I'll take 2.

Let me Know.

Ok guys got the prices back on the reinforcement plates. Looks like it will be around $8.00 USD per plate. If I get enough interest I will have them made. Plates will be made from 1/8" stainless steel so you don't have to paint them :).

Kibokojoe
08-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Finalizing negotiation with the shop. Should have them by September. I want them to be perfect :)

nirvana19
08-17-2009, 08:28 PM
count me in

Kibokojoe
09-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Plates are being made now. I will take them to the post office and get back on the cost of shipping. US, UK, Australia.......Where else?

Kibokojoe
09-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Does any one have a good pic of a blown out door? The plates will be done soon and the plates I don't sell here I will place on ebay. A nice pic of what could happen will help to sell them :)