PDA

View Full Version : OT: How to dig myself out of a hole

whiskychaser
07-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Its my birthday tomorrow. My brother got me some ratchet spanners. My dear lady bought me a star. It seems she got the idea I was more interested in the spanners. Well they are good! Any suggestions that will enable me to wake up in the morning greatly appreciated

632 Regal
07-22-2009, 04:07 PM
I believe a nice restaurant and champagne is in order

whiskychaser
07-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks. Birthday or not, I think you are right

leicesterboy15
07-22-2009, 05:23 PM

I concur, make sure she drinks more of the champagne than you do otherwise you'll end up buying another meal!!

Whats a star by the way?

whiskychaser
07-22-2009, 05:36 PM
I concur, make sure she drinks more of the champagne than you do otherwise you'll end up buying another meal!!

Whats a star by the way?

A star? Its one of those bright things in the night sky. Apparantly you can have one named after you. Dont want to see even more ungrateful but I dont imagine there are any big ones left. She has acquired a taste for premier cru so I might get away with it:D

leicesterboy15
07-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Oh you mean a real star? I'm with you..... given the choice I'd take the spanners :)

Although if its a real star you could say something like the spanners are just superficial objects but having a star named after you is something that gets you 'inside', it goes beyond superficial possessions (can't find the word) and means so much more, you think about it a lot but how can you show that? Just because you use the spanners doesn't mean you're not thinking about the star!

If you say that you might get away with a meal and a bottle of asti or a smack in the mouth for being so patronising :)

e34.535i.sport
07-22-2009, 06:21 PM
A star? Its one of those bright things in the night sky.

Haha LOL!!! :D

I wanna see this 'Whiskychaser' constellation I'm goin to have a look now... :D

whiskychaser
07-22-2009, 06:28 PM
the spanners are just superficial objects but having a star named after you is something that gets you 'inside', it goes beyond superficial possessions and means so much more

I have often been accused of waxing lyrical. But I'm printing this out and putting it in my pocket. It may just be a life saver

whiskychaser
07-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Haha LOL!!! :D

I wanna see this 'Whiskychaser' constellation I'm goin to have a look now... :D
Dont look at it too long or the whites of your eyes go red

e34.535i.sport
07-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Dont look at it too long or the whites of your eyes go red

Hahaha roger that!!! :D

e34.535i.sport
07-22-2009, 06:48 PM
I have often been accused of waxing lyrical.

I just had to look that up lol... :D

whiskychaser
07-22-2009, 06:55 PM
I just had to look that up lol... :D
The fact you had to look it up makes me feel so much younger. Thanks John:(

e34.535i.sport
07-22-2009, 07:00 PM
The fact you had to look it up makes me feel so much younger. Thanks John:(

Haha sorry Col! I promise I'm not gonna say the 'G' word today lol!! :D

whiskychaser
07-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Haha sorry Col! I promise I'm not gonna say the 'G' word today lol!! :D
Yeah thanks for mentioning it:(:D

BMWDriver
07-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Make sure to put the star in your will so it is passed down. It'll be worth a lot once we break past lightspeed... or bend space or whatever the hell gets you there.

DaveVoorhis
07-23-2009, 02:41 AM
Dinner & champagne is a good start, but may not be enough. You might have to buy jewelry. I recommend a diamond pendant, along with a carefully un-rehearsed speech to the effect that whilst she's touched your heart by buying you a star in the sky, you love her so much that you brought a star down from the sky to place by her heart. [Put pendant around her neck at this point.]

It's perhaps worth noting, should you choose to take this advice, that I'm twice divorced and have gone through four major relationship breakups in roughly a decade. I.e., I'm not very good at this. It could be a case of the blind leading the blind. :D

leicesterboy15
07-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Dinner & champagne is a good start, but may not be enough. You might have to buy jewelry. I recommend a diamond pendant, along with a carefully un-rehearsed speech to the effect that whilst she's touched your heart by buying you a star in the sky, you love her so much that you brought a star down from the sky to place by her heart. [Put pendant around her neck at this point.]

I feel sick.....

tim eh?
07-23-2009, 04:17 PM
I feel sick.....

haha me too - Happy Birthday WC! - just show some interest in it dude. Git your binocs out or look up the constellation on wikipedia or something so you can tell her something about it she doesn't know. She'll be happy if you spend some time on it rather than paying it lip service. Don't use the spanners for at least a week! (said another blind man :D)

632 Regal
07-23-2009, 09:31 PM
We could probably start a club!

It's perhaps worth noting, should you choose to take this advice, that I'm twice divorced and have gone through four major relationship breakups in roughly a decade. I.e., I'm not very good at this. It could be a case of the blind leading the blind. :D

BMWDriver
07-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Yeah, organize a star gazing night somewhere, to look at your star with a telescope... there are astronomy clubs. You can rent one also, one that can point to specific coordinates with computer aided motorized aiming. Hopefully, the star is not in the Southern Hemisphere.

Mr._Graybeard
07-24-2009, 01:42 AM
One thing to consider -- she may be a little defensive because she knows the gift was lame. I don't want to be cruel, but that star advertising pitch is straight out of late-night talk radio. Clearly, she had no idea what to get you because guys are incredibly hard to buy gifts for -- we like wrenches.

Obviously, now you want to spring for the night out to smooth things over, but next year, drop a few hints in May or June about how much you could use a new jacket or sweater -- something she'd like to buy (at a department store, not an auto jobber). She'll be happy because she made you look more presentable, and you'll get the benefit of her good taste. You can take her out again wearing your new duds.

whiskychaser
07-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, particularly 'the Blind Mens Club':D I am of course naming the star Whisky Chaser but while its new name will be registered with the British Library, it seems academics may continue to use its number. I cant imagine why.

e34.535i.sport
07-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, particularly 'the Blind Mens Club':D I am of course naming the star Whisky Chaser but while its new name will be registered with the British Library, it seems academics may continue to use its number. I cant imagine why.

Haha what happened to the 'Swarf-Star'?! ;)

Bo525i
07-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Get her to drink enough Premier Cru Champagne so that sheŽll be able to see all the stars without even going to outer space or even outside.. :D

whiskychaser
07-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Haha what happened to the 'Swarf-Star'?! ;)
My mate Jean-Luc said I can get to the star at Swarf factor 6. As you got the man-size tub I may even make it back home:D
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/whiskychaser/S7001528.jpg
And 'er indoors hardly needs her arm twisting when it comes to the Premier Cru!

e34.535i.sport
07-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Hahah you did it!!! I like your style LOL!!! :D

Ross
07-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Happy belated birthday. I've been away on a long weekend celebrating my ladies b-day.
as to your predicament perhaps naming your favorite of those wrenches after her.

Ross
07-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Oh you mean a real star? I'm with you..... given the choice I'd take the spanners :)

Although if its a real star you could say something like the spanners are just superficial objects but having a star named after you is something that gets you 'inside', it goes beyond superficial possessions (can't find the word) and means so much more, you think about it a lot but how can you show that? Just because you use the spanners doesn't mean you're not thinking about the star!

If you say that you might get away with a meal and a bottle of asti or a smack in the mouth for being so patronising :)
Damn, you're good. You could have gotten Bill Clinton out of trouble.