PDA

View Full Version : Car Stalls Intermittently - 1989 M30 Engine

angusbn
07-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Car started fine yesterday, drove 3 minutes around the neighbourhood and suddently stalled - no stumbling, no indication, nothing - just died. Tried to restart, cranking no problem but it doesn't fire - so I returned 20 minutes later and it restarted no problem but after driving another 3 minutes or so stalled again!! Same symptoms exactly.

Local indy just called and the fuel pressure guage test is reading 45-47 psi perfectly - been running 45 minutes in the garage - he didn't road test it though - just tested it in the garage. So this should rule out the fuel pump, filter and FPR I'd say.

Spark at the plugs obvioulsly rules out the CPS I'd say.

Plugs are new. Starter is new. Battery is new.

No issue with the fuel injectors as per the indy. He's baffled.

All other diagnostics tests with his testing gear are to spec.

Some electronic - perhaps the DME?

Any other thoughts guys?

Blair...

Tiger
07-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Crank Position Sensor... no... spark does not rule out CPS.

whiskychaser
07-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Crank Position Sensor... no... spark does not rule out CPS.
I liked your first call: CPS. But its like the Irish MOT test on indicators: yes its working, no it isnt, yes its working..

angusbn
07-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Ordered a new CPS - $122 Cdn - should arrive Aug 24th. Thanks Tiger for the suggestion.

Martin in Bellevue
07-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Check the coolant tempsensor. Resistance values are in the Bentley. Are the spark plugs wet?

angusbn
07-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Found that removing the air filter box and the upper coolant return hose was the only way to fish the connector through to the socket. Took about one hour but I wasn't rushing. The CPS had a good coat of greasy, oily slim that must have effected the magnetic field of the sensor? Time will tell if it's the fix or not. So all in all, one hour labour (Cdn $90 plus taxes) to diagnosis the problem (and they didn't find anything) and $123 for the CPS that I put on. So $225 in total.

Thanks for everyone assiastance.