PDA

View Full Version : can you reuse the brake pad wear indicator?

Mordan
07-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Hello

I'm going to change my pads on the E34, the red light hasn't lit though... do I need to order new pad wear indicators?

thx

yaofeng
07-21-2009, 04:53 PM
You will likely destroy it when you remove it. Or you can simply jumper the two wires with a wire nut and tie them off.

shogun
07-21-2009, 05:10 PM
where I buy the pads I get the sensors for free. Many shops do that here, it costs them maybe 2 $ and customer is happy.

whiskychaser
07-21-2009, 05:14 PM
They are only held in with a little clip and are easy to remove with a small screwdriver. (just dont lose the clip!) If you put a meter on the pins in the plug and you get continuity, use it again. I wouldnt want a trip to the BMW dealer and shell out £10 a time if I didnt have to

Kibokojoe
07-21-2009, 08:03 PM
Those sensors are like $10 to $15 USD bucks here. I reuse them. I have never had a problem pulling them, but I pull them with needle nose pliers straight out. I guess one day I will break one but so far so good. Before I spend $15 bucks on one of these I will solder the wires together.

BMWCCA1
07-21-2009, 09:40 PM
I've never, ever had a problem reusing them.

Tiger
07-21-2009, 10:13 PM
You can reuse them... However, if they are really old, the wires will break on its own. I reused mine until the wires are broken and triggered Brake Lining warning.

You can tell if your sensors are good one or bad one... The one that broke on me seems factory that has skinny wires. Aftermarket one comes with thick wires.

Mordan
07-22-2009, 04:10 PM
thx guys! I ordered one new.. to compare with the old ones :)

whiskychaser
07-22-2009, 04:38 PM
thx guys! I ordered one new.. to compare with the old ones :)
The brake wear 'sensor' isnt really a sensor at all. Its just a hump in a bit of plastic that the wire runs through. When the pads get low, the disc cuts it and gives and open circuit. So its either broken or its not:D

BMWCCA1
07-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Seems to me grounding the sensor on, say, the rotor accomplishes the same warning without breaking the circuit. I could be wrong 'cause I never let my pads get that low, but I seem to recall plenty of cars coming into the shop with the brake pad light flashing on brake application without staying on all the time.