PDA

View Full Version : MF'ers!

vping
07-17-2009, 12:39 PM
So I had all the trans problems worked out by having a rebuild unit put in. I've been driving it most days without a hitch. Today, I smell something burning, kinds like a bad balast in a flourescent fixture. I get to work and start poking around. The smell is coming from the shifter opening. To be safe I disconnected the battery to be safe and went to work.

Here I am at lunch hooking it back up and no real smells anymore (took a quick run out for soffee) but I decide take a look underneath for good measure. The friggin exhasut if rigged with bailing wire and i can hear that there are leaks all over the place. Anyone think the trans guys had something to do with it. It was not there before!!

The exhaust was rusting and knew it would need to be replaced one day but **** at least tell me the bushing were bad and the you had to order a new set.

Questions are this.

1 - The car is running ok and the smell is no longer there. What under the shifter could be the cause and how to I take the console apart? I have a few sticky power window switches that I might just take care of while I am there.

2 - Is there a fairly cheap option for a DIY exhaust? I just broke the bank on the trans and am on a limited budget.

whiskychaser
07-17-2009, 02:47 PM
If you are changing the tranny you drop the whole exhaust. Not for me to bat for your garage but if it fell in bits it was probably fkd anyway. That said, they should have told you as much. And that they had to 'improvise' hangers. I dont know what a bad balast smells like but if its ozone (the smell you get with a kids train set) then you have got some arcing going on somewhere. This could stuff up your EGS or even cause a fire so I'd give that a coat of looking at some time soon. You just need a small allen key to take the T off the gear selecter. The panel is only held down by a couple of clips and flips up easily. Not sure about the window switches as I havent had them out

BennyM
07-17-2009, 03:09 PM
I'll be attempting a DIY exhaust in a couple weeks, using a decent used system I purchased from a junker for $75. My budget is $125 including new brackets, hangers, and beer. This should buy me a couple years and I don't think one can do it for any cheaper. The cheapest quote I got for a new system was $1100. I'll let you know how it turns out.

vping
07-17-2009, 04:52 PM
I got that far on the removal but can't seem to figure out the wood trim removal.

632 Regal
07-17-2009, 06:40 PM
lift up, pry along the edges if you cant just pull it up.
I got that far on the removal but can't seem to figure out the wood trim removal.

genphreak
07-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Many of us have tried cheap exhaust components with little lasting success or performance. A junker is a great option if its still sound...