PDA

View Full Version : You ain't gonna believe this bonehead move (not BMW but applicable)

paul p (chi-town)
07-15-2009, 04:55 PM
ARGGGGGH!!!!
Well, after ~20 years of wrenching, it finally happened. Stripped the oil drain plug threads in the pan.
*shakes head*
Worse yet, it’s not on the beater NX … no I would barely care then.

It’s the MR2.
*shudder*
I know that I SHOULD simply get another pan, but that may take a while as the 20V Silvertop pan is different from the run o mill 4AGs that were shipped here. A 7AG may do the trick but still, then I may have to pull the headers as they seem to be 1 piece from exh ports under the engine. Even if I don’t plan on tracking the car till fixed right, I really don’t want it sitting in the garage the whole time.
Suggestions?

Besides never, EVER using a ½in torque wrench and aftermarket gasket again......

PS - Backlog of posts soon to follow now that our EPA audit is underway.

Hang up & Drive!
94 BMW 530iT&A 140K, ‘Helga’ ( Shleppen Schnell, Boat Bus *splash* )
92 BMW 325i 160K, ‘Rolf’ ( Euro vision equipped *woot* )
93 Datsun NX2000 190K ‘Carla’ ( Uber heated seat & rust holes *shakes head* )
85 Toyo MR2 140K ‘Jerry’ ( Showcar/track toy, killer mpg, way more fun than a Prius *grin* )
“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
- Hunter S. Thompson

whiskychaser
07-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Like you havent thought of this already: tap it out to use a bigger plug or use ptfe tape.

repenttokyo
07-15-2009, 05:27 PM
don't feel bad. I actually stripped and broke the bolt in my bmw drain pain, had to use a tool to drill into it and remove it. it happens to everyone.

ArnZ!
07-16-2009, 01:57 AM
Helicoil?

sal_park
07-16-2009, 03:10 AM
Helicoil?

++

Ross
07-16-2009, 08:01 AM
What about retapping to the closest SAE thread plug?
Grease and a magnet on the tap should ease fears of chips. If the pan is aluminum the chips are "digestible".