PDA

View Full Version : ESD Reset

ss2115
07-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Intermitedly I get a dash warning of the Brake light circuit, but its not a bulb. From research on this forum and other BMW sites, its most likely the brake light switch which can be repaired or replaced.

I also every now and then get a message - ESD Reset.
Can anyone tell me what this is please?

shogun
07-13-2009, 09:18 PM
yor car does not have ESD. ESD means in German Elektronisches Sperr Differential = electronic controlled limited final drive.
Your CCM is waiting to be resoldered ;-)
resolder the R60 resistor...
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/108689/

ss2115
07-13-2009, 11:00 PM
yor car does not have ESD. ESD means in German Elektronisches Sperr Differential = electronic controlled limited final drive.
Your CCM is waiting to be resoldered ;-)
resolder the R60 resistor...
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/108689/

Shogun - your a gem.
So what you are saying is that there are some dry soldered joints in the Central Control Module and that touching up joints will solve both the Brake LT Circuit display and the ESD Reselt display messages at the same time?
Brilliant!

shogun
07-13-2009, 11:32 PM
it will solve in any case the ESD problem and maybe also the brake light thingy. But brake light can also be cause by other things like the brake light switch, wrong (not original) bulbs, corroded contacts on the bulb, or the bulb holder itself (I had a bulb holder with a short internally).
Reflow the contacts in the CCM first and then see what happens.
As for the brake light switch, see the site of Gale, link on my website below, under lots of DIY links>private links, detailed write up and pics there. Also in case of the switch same situation:
Increased resistance with age in the points in the brake light switch is usually the cause of the "Brake Light Circuit" check control fault message. You can either install a new switch or disassemble & clean the old one. The switch is clipped to a bracket above the brake pedal, at least on the E32.

ss2115
07-21-2009, 03:24 AM
Shogun - your a gem.
So what you are saying is that there are some dry soldered joints in the Central Control Module and that touching up joints will solve both the Brake LT Circuit display and the ESD Reselt display messages at the same time?
Brilliant!

Hi Shogun.

That was a great call on the CCM.
I had it out and soldered all the R60 pins and a lot of others around it for good measure.
I haven't had the ESD reselt message or the Brake LT Circuit messages at all for over a weeks driving, but also I occasionally got a Low Coolant warning when the water level is absolutely fine and thats now gone as well.
Thank you.

I'd also like to thank this forum for suggesting replacement of the O2 sensor earlier this year when I questioned what fuel consumption I should be getting.
I replaced this last week and have dropped from a best of 17.6 down to 12.1 litres/100klm over the last weeks driving.
I'm very pleased.
Next might be a look at updating the injectors to design 3 or design 4 - that seems to be a popular improvement on this forum also.

best regards to all,