PDA

View Full Version : Wood Trim Refinishing

///Sniper535
07-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Anyone have good tips on how to refinish the wood trim? What to use to fill cracks and to give it that shine.

Thanks.

///Sniper535
07-14-2009, 10:04 PM
anyone got an idea?

SnakeyesTx
07-14-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm taking all the fake wood bits off my e39 and wrapping them in carbon fiber. The weave is suprisingly cheap and easy to work with on smaller pieces like these. I'm going to experiment with a "room-temperature cure" resin for the finish that a friend of mine uses on boats.

Tiger
07-14-2009, 10:20 PM
One thing for sure is that depending on the condition of your wood... you have to understand that the wood pieces are just a veneer so don't go sanding that piece of wood.

If you are talking about million of scratches, then use plastic polish to bring the wood back to life. This is as far as I would go.

If you want to go further, then you have to dissolve that clearcoat which I believe is lacquer. I would first try to get a similar stain color to the original wood. Go to Sherwin Williams paint store and look at their own interior stain selections to find a match. So get a paint remover to dissolve the lacquer and lightly sand the wood.

Clean the wood well with like mineral spirit and then apply some wood filler in the crack spots and apply some shellac only at the crack area... sand lightly to match the rest of the wood... Apply stain... let it sit for 10 seconds or more and wipe clean... let dry... then once all ready for lacquer... get piano lacquer to finish the wood.

///Sniper535
07-15-2009, 01:40 PM
how about using regular automotive clear coat paint?

Tiger
07-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Automotive clear coat is designed for enamel paint, metal expansion contraction and is thin coating.

Piano lacquer is thick and self settling so will be smooth surface. You can use regular Lacquer to do the job too... or thick Polyurethane... anything is fine. Important part is to seal the bare wood spots like the back so it doesn't absorb the moisture.