PDA

View Full Version : Who Would Have Guessed That the guys at the Range Rover Forum were a bunch of douchs!

BMW4LIFE
07-11-2009, 02:40 AM
Hey guys sorry for the crazy title but i was wondering if you guys could help me out as the guys on the range rover forum are pieces of poop!

My sister is looking to buy a 2004 Range Rover (or should I say her husband is planning to buy it for her) and wanted my opinion.

I am pretty unfamiliar with that car but did some research and saw nothing but negative things...this going out...electrical problem...etc

is this true? or was there a bad batch that made a bad name for the company?

I know this is a BMW forum but I trust you guys that a lot of other people...

give me any kind of feedback...or if you know someone that has one and how happy they are with it...

thanks!

Mordan
07-11-2009, 05:54 AM
i wouldn't buy a Range Rover..even tough I heard they have a BMW diesel engine.

if one wants a real 4x4 and not a "look at me SUV", I would buy those old mercedes or toyota 4x4 (in south america, you only find toyotas 4x4). good stuff. DIY repairs possible with no electronic garbage.

granted. a blonde looks better in a Range. :)

whiskychaser
07-11-2009, 06:13 AM
This may be interest:
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=613

Ross
07-12-2009, 10:31 AM
A Range Rover? Really? Truely a steaming turd of a car. Sure there are some that love them, like my neighbor, who spends LOTS of time beneath it.

BennyM
07-13-2009, 01:45 PM
I only have limited experience with an 02 Land Rover. It was owned by a photographer I work with and he had nothing but trouble with it. The engine was pre-BMW and based off of some kind of 1970s pontiac design or something. It blew headgaskets constantly and after a lot of research, he found that there was a chronic design flaw in all of those engines that shortened their life significantly....unless you're OK with doing a headgasket with every oil change. Don't know the model range for the engines, but at the very least, make sure the one she's going to get has a BMW engine.

Other problems included:
Rear tailgate wouldn't open or refused close (every Discovery owner I've met has had this problem).
Hydraulic shocks leak, sag and fail often and are very expensive to fix. (the truck often looked like it was squatting to take a ****)
Air-con is overly complicated (different systems for front and rear) and rarely worked properly.
Random electrical glitches all over the place.

During those few days that everything worked, I admit it was fun...especially in the snow. I'd rather he had a Land Cruiser.

BennyM
07-13-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm curious to hear what the douches at the other forum said to piss you off. ?

Ross
07-13-2009, 02:28 PM
I only have limited experience with an 02 Land Rover. It was owned by a photographer I work with and he had nothing but trouble with it. The engine was pre-BMW and based off of some kind of 1970s pontiac design or something. It blew headgaskets constantly and after a lot of research, he found that there was a chronic design flaw in all of those engines that shortened their life significantly....unless you're OK with doing a headgasket with every oil change. Don't know the model range for the engines, but at the very least, make sure the one she's going to get has a BMW engine.

Other problems included:
Rear tailgate wouldn't open or refused close (every Discovery owner I've met has had this problem).
Hydraulic shocks leak, sag and fail often and are very expensive to fix. (the truck often looked like it was squatting to take a ****)
Air-con is overly complicated (different systems for front and rear) and rarely worked properly.

During those few days that everything worked, I admit it was fun...especially in the snow. I'd rather he had a Land Cruiser.
The old V-8 is a discarded GM design from the early sixties used in Buick and Oldsmobile compacts. Originally meant to displace 215 cu. in. ~3.46 liters.

whiskychaser
07-13-2009, 03:56 PM

Other problems included:

The Discovery (aka 'Disco') isnt a Range Rover. A neighbour who I have known for years has a Disco an 02 plate. Its a 4 litre V8 auto and has none of the problems you describe. If I hadnt lived up to my namesake I might have taken it round the block and given a road test report:D The Range Rover is a more refined animal altogether. IHMO if you buy one the first thing you need to do is get the suspension sorted. They dont tend to turn over on their sides at 45mph any more but still need looking at. (A UK company I know will take one with bullet proof glass/doors and bomb proof floor and still make it handle well.) The Disco has full leather and 2 extra seats so you can fit 7 in easily. I imagine the Range Rover will do that but have thicker carpets:D But dont expect good mpg from either of them