PDA

View Full Version : Mildew and dirt in YOUR a/c system vents!!

aston_jag_tech
07-09-2009, 04:19 AM
Ill just say it, I am allergic to mold and it is extremely disgusting.

So, I removed my carpet, professional cleaned, removed all vent ducting and cleaned all the black dirt/grim/mold/etc. Cleaned my evap even more than before.

Very satisfied with the a/c ducting, I am bias about the carpet. It is 20 yrs old with stains from coffee, the midwest winters, and what ever else the prev. owners encountered.

But, I can say that the aroma inside of the car is so much more soothing than just a old car smell.

I did use the a/c cleaner foam cans(3) And its great. The conversion from r-12 to r134a is still working.

All the interior trim panels that are not porous I cleaned with hot soapy water during my bath time.. That again removed the 20yr old smell which is a relief.
However, I do wish that my plastic was not so brittle. Every elec. con. and trim panel is very brittle and breaks in attempts to remove, ew.

Anyone ambitious enough to remove the carpet will be amazed at how simple it really is. :D

I wanted to share my experience... Take care all.

Ross
07-09-2009, 08:32 AM
What a/c cleaner foam did you use?
I have a van with an oder from the a/c that is awful. I'm too lazy to tear it apart so this sounds like something I might try.

Tiger
07-09-2009, 09:49 AM
From where did you inject the AC Foam? I got like 4 bottles left and I want to clean it too... I will have to take out the microfilter before I inject it.

Mr._Graybeard
07-09-2009, 09:57 AM
I've always liked the smell of old German cars. It's kind of an organic aroma. Old Mercedes are the most distinctive.

aston_jag_tech
07-09-2009, 09:20 PM
http://www.bgprod.com/products/climatecontrol.html
This is what I used.....BG Frigi-CleanŽ
Part No. 709 Net Wt. 7 oz. (198.4 g)
Volume 6.65 fl. oz. (197 mL)

You know I tried two different spots so far... I inject the foam by removing the blower motor resistor swoard, cutting a cardboard piece out and ppoking the tube through the carboard and then placing the board inplace of the sword. I also had the passenger foot air duct off(the elbow duct) and with lower feet actuator doors open you can see the fan wheel spinning...I tired it there also. Im very satisfied, but I know alot of it has to due with the fact that I thoroughly cleaned all my ducts. :)

whiskychaser
07-10-2009, 03:15 PM
I've always liked the smell of old German cars. It's kind of an organic aroma. Old Mercedes are the most distinctive.
I can only speak for Beetles, Opels and the odd Ford Taunus. They all smelled of hot plastic. The only memory they evoke is of travel sickeness:(

Mr._Graybeard
07-11-2009, 02:57 AM
I can only speak for Beetles, Opels and the odd Ford Taunus. They all smelled of hot plastic. The only memory they evoke is of travel sickeness:(

I've had three old Mercs, a couple W123s and a W114, and the cabins all smelled kind of horsey. My dad would wisecrack about it when he was riding in the cars. I've owned a couple '80s-era Audis, and they had a different smell, a little musty, but consistent between the two cars -- maybe it was the leather upholstery. I own an '83 633 that has a similar, slightly acrid odor I can occasionally detect, but it's not easy because the PO seems to have had a thing for those cardboard air-freshening tags. Again, maybe it's the euro-tanned leather.