PDA

View Full Version : X5 Gearbox in an e34 540??

leicesterboy15
07-04-2009, 04:48 PM
I went to pick up my Dad's car today (needed a new engine), the place that did it was a huge set up, they churn out engine and gearbox swaps like they are changing oil. So I asked him about converting my car to a 6 speed manual, one of his his mechanics said it was a very big job with new wiring loom and ecu required, he said I was much better off renewing my auto, or he could put a high performance auto in!! When I quizzed him on this he said this would mean installing an autobox from an x5 (the 4.4 version I believe). I asked him how he knows it is better and that it actually fitted, he replied by saying that they've seen the inside of it and can tell by the ratios but they have done their own 'experiments'.

Has anyone ever heard of this or seen it done? Is it even possible? What are peoples opinions on whether it would make a difference? The x5 option is almost double the price of renewing the existing auto.

whiskychaser
07-04-2009, 05:02 PM
The X5 is a 4x4 isnt it? So it must have a transfer box or something bolted on somewhere. So do you just leave the two extra outputs spinning? :D I dont think seeing inside will tell you if it fits or not. I'd be interested to hear more details though. Or a pint of whatever he is drinking when I can get to the bar

leicesterboy15
07-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Good point!! Yes its a 4x4 and I don't know how these things work, I think he meant that by looking inside you can see how each gear will react relative to those in another gearbox. Then again he took £1600 off my old man so he can definately afford a drink or two!!

whiskychaser
07-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Not sure what your dad drives but after shelling out £1600 I think its him that need a drink:(

leicesterboy15
07-04-2009, 05:54 PM
lol did he ever!

whiskychaser
07-04-2009, 06:10 PM
£1600 is a shed load of cash though:( You can buy 2 x E34s for that. Or an E39 thats 'just' overheating cos the water pump/rad/thermostat failed - an easy fix;)

leicesterboy15
07-04-2009, 07:04 PM
He's got a Mazda Bongo, yes its funny and I try and avoid going in it but it suits them as they go down to spain all the time and the bongo turns into a camper but you can use it everyday as well, its quite good actually, just got a stupid name! To replace the car would have cost about 6k and they plan to keep it for a while so I guess its no bad thing to have a recon engine in it. If it was me I would have shopped around but they are getting on a bit and couldn't bothered - and they told me after the car had already been picked up otherwise I would have asked a lot more questions! The engine change was £1000, the rest was 'extras'

Ross
07-05-2009, 10:48 AM
they haven't churned out many E34s then.
The swap is nuts and bolts with something like one wire to delete or ground to make a "trans program" error code go away. I have never laid eyes on an X5 trans but would still bet it's not an appropriate swap. A 5 spd is less $$ but with less overdrive.

Kalevera
07-06-2009, 05:21 PM
X5 V8 automatics all have transfer case mount flanges on the rear end, so no idea where this fellow got the notion that it'd be a good thing to install on a V8 E34....