PDA

View Full Version : Riddle me this???????

Kibokojoe
07-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Ok guys here is a real teaser

With the power mirror on the left side selected with the mirror adjustment switch and the engine running, when I move the automatic transmission gear-shift from reverse to neutral the right power mirror goes down. When I move the gear-shift from neutral to reverse the mirror goes up. What the heck is going on?

Zeuk in Oz
07-03-2009, 09:28 PM

With the power mirror on the left side selected with the mirror adjustment switch and the engine running, when I move the automatic transmission gear-shift from reverse to neutral the right power mirror goes down. When I move the gear-shift from neutral to reverse the mirror goes up. What the heck is going on?

On my E39 & E53 the opposite happens - the passenger side mirror goes down in reverse when driver's mirror selected but not when passenger mirror selected. This is presumably to assist in reverse parking etc.

Sounds like you've got some wires crossed if it is doing the opposite. Possibly your gear lever is slightly out of adjustment and is telling your mirrors the wrong information about which gear you are in ?

BTW, is this your E34 (I have never had this function on either of my E34s) or your 7 series (E38?) ?

Kibokojoe
07-03-2009, 09:38 PM
No this is my son's 91 735i e32. I bet your bimmer is a right side driver mine is a USA left side driver. So they are working the same.

632 Regal
07-03-2009, 10:50 PM
thats all jacked up, from neut to rev the drivers should go down... connections are reversed and switched from each side... if even possible time to look at where the things plug in and obviously someone blindly plugged them in without knowing. Probably some cleaning or repair.

Rus
07-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Does the gear indicator on the dashboard light up reliably? Your selector switch could be dirty/worn and that will cause some erratic behavior from the indicator light and possibly the mirror. Its not that hard to pull it out and clean it out.

Zeuk in Oz
07-04-2009, 02:28 AM
No this is my son's 91 735i e32. I bet your bimmer is a right side driver mine is a USA left side driver. So they are working the same.
Same difference - passenger or driver is what I said, not left or right. BMW know which is which.

bubba966
07-04-2009, 11:13 AM
BTW, is this your E34 (I have never had this function on either of my E34s) or your 7 series (E38?) ?

Only E34's with memory seats had this function. And very few E34's had memory seats. Quite happy that the M-Sport's were equipped with them.

Ross
07-04-2009, 04:45 PM
That is how it supposed to work. For backing, so you can see the neighbor's rug rat on the tricycle you'd like to squish anyway.
Edit
Ooops, should go down when reverse is selected. That kid better look out.

leicesterboy15
07-04-2009, 04:54 PM
can you retrofit this?

whiskychaser
07-04-2009, 05:07 PM
can you retrofit this?
Why would you want to? How do BMW know how tall I am, how far forward my seat is, how high I have got it and if I'm tired. Anybody that fiddled with my mirrors while I'm reversing would get a slap:D

leicesterboy15
07-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Why would you want to? How do BMW know how tall I am, how far forward my seat is, how high I have got it and if I'm tired. Anybody that fiddled with my mirrors while I'm reversing would get a slap:D

Yeah but imagine the bragging rights down the pub!

Kibokojoe
07-04-2009, 06:32 PM
If you leave the mirror adjust switch selected to the passenger mirror it doesn't move. Or at least mine doesn't

bubba966
07-04-2009, 11:10 PM
If you leave the mirror adjust switch selected to the passenger mirror it doesn't move. Or at least mine doesn't

That's how it's supposed to work. Only tilts down when the mirror adjust switch is set to the drivers side mirror.

bubba966
07-04-2009, 11:12 PM
can you retrofit this?

Believe you can if you get the memory seats & memory mirrors and all associated wiring that it takes.