PDA

View Full Version : Location of CPS on '89 525?

Gene in NC
07-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Took advice, have part in hand, have tip on replacement. Only problem is have no idea where it is and no luck finding it so far.

whiskychaser
07-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Took advice, have part in hand, have tip on replacement. Only problem is have no idea where it is and no luck finding it so far.
I would think no. 8 is what you are looking for:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HC13&mospid=47402&btnr=11_0436&hg=11&fg=10
TBH I havent seen one on an M20 but logic dictates its above and in very close proximity to the crankshaft pulley. The connector end will be under the inlet manifold towards the front

tim eh?
07-02-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Actually I think I have found it but it is a real B to get at and I errr haven't got around to replacing it yet.

Haven't seen the plug itself yet - it comes up from near the crankshaft at the bottom/front of the engine and I can't see exactly but it runs around the hoses that connect to the water pump and then winds around the front of the engine underneath the distributor and then disappears again behind the wire conduit on the ds of the motor that carries the wires that go to the alternator. I assume there is a plug somewhere in there - i think underneath the conduit probably.

Actually I think mine is improperly installed - it doesn't make sense to me that it would be right up against the coolant pipes like it is and someone has obviously messed it up at some point.

not sure if the pic helps - the camera is beside/in front of the battery. cps is the real ugly taped-up wire in the middle.... i think! good luck!

tim eh?
07-04-2009, 10:32 AM
**** just had a go at it but the a/c compressor or whatever is in the way and I don't have the right extension to get at the T30 screw that holds the cps in place - silly me, that is the oil level sensor I was describing - cps is the other ugly wire to the lower right that isn't all taped up. The other end of the cps is inconveniently plugged in under that conduit near the middle of its length.

Gene in NC
07-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Link is to thread re location and tips for CPS replacement. Applies to m30, but not for '89 525i with M20.

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/printthread.php?t=41040

M20 has 13mm bolt holding the bracket.

The screw that holds the CPS to bracket is 15mm allen. Soak it with PB Blaster for a couple of days, use a 15allen with a long but very small socket for levcerage and the CPS comes off easily.

I removed the radiator shroud for much improved access to the bracket which is located behind the toothed crank "something" that triggers the CPS.

But, what kind of wrench will get to the bolt on the bracket.

Gene in NC
07-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Clue for the '89 525 with m20 CPS. Engine is related to the E30/528e m20, not the follow on 525. There is no adjustment on the 525 m20 so you have to make your own. Two bolts hold the bracket. Lower must be removed to make bracket adjustable.

I removed the CPS by soaking the 5mm allen with PB Blaster for a couple of days, then used 5mm hex and a 7mm long socket for leverage, Follow the post re m30 CPS, but notice that wire is longer than orignal the m20 OEM. Assume same pn used for both m20 and m30, at least with the aftermarket part I used.

Discovered as about to throw orig in trash that insulation was worn through about 3" from the RPS. Copper intact, but maybe this contributed to intermittent.
Prob cause is pulley that wire is routed behind.

Oh by the way. Problem solved. Running clean.

Gene in NC
07-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Tip_ Removed battery, fan and fan shroud for access.

tim eh?
07-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks Gene that's very helpful. I finally got around to doing mine, it's kind of a PITB getting it around all the hoses and pulleys. But it didn't solve my rare warm start fault. (turns but doesn't catch - was that your problem?) Mind you the cps is not the only suspect. But I'm curious as to what position to adjust the cps to... maybe my bracket is off a little bit? Most of the time I have no problems.

genphreak
07-28-2009, 03:22 AM
I've heard that sometimes just positioning it closer to the timing wheel (minimal clearance) can fix it, but I didn't think it has much 'play'...

tim eh?
07-28-2009, 01:07 PM
I've heard that sometimes just positioning it closer to the timing wheel (minimal clearance) can fix it, but I didn't think it has much 'play'...

Thanks - I was going to assume closer is best. It's pretty close, I think my problem is not there - oh well, it was way way past due anyway.