PDA

View Full Version : radio help

compmore
07-01-2009, 01:15 AM
94 540

have a problem with the head unit and it's allready been repaired once so thinking of replacing with new.Does anyone know of a unit which will go in easily and still be using stock amp and stacker as local radio shop saying it could be a big job to replace and possibly have to rewire speakers ect.

geoff b

tim eh?
07-01-2009, 09:43 AM
94 540

have a problem with the head unit and it's allready been repaired once so thinking of replacing with new.Does anyone know of a unit which will go in easily and still be using stock amp and stacker as local radio shop saying it could be a big job to replace and possibly have to rewire speakers ect.

geoff b

It would be easiest to replace it with a working stock HU. The local radio shop is correct - the stock amp makes things complicated but a simple solution is to get a head unit that has line level outs and use those instead of the amplified 'speaker outs' that one would typically use. There are a lot of threads on this site about similar issues have a look around...

Tiger
07-01-2009, 09:46 AM
The easiest head unit I put in is floating ground head unit. You just connect the wire are usual and done. I got the same car and I was dreading to install head unit as everyone said can be a pain... Fortunately, my Sanyo HD radio was floating ground unit and I tested it and it was so easy... just connect the wires are usual with the BMW wiring harness adapter. color for color...

GJPinAU
07-01-2009, 06:37 PM
You have to get the harness adaptor. Saves butchering your cars wiring and, as mentioned, the colour code is correct.

Don't fuss about the amp, you just use lower volume settings.

BennyM
07-02-2009, 02:17 PM
I installed a Nakamichi head unit years ago with some kind of fancy amp adapter thing, and I later read some threads here which suggested that the amp adapter wasn't necessary. So I took it out and everything works just as well (if not better) connected directly through to the stock amp. The wiring harness adaptor, on the other hand, is one you should definitely get. That will make your life much easier. I think those are about $10-$15.