PDA

View Full Version : can i place washers behind guibo and output shaft to extend driveshaft?

ryan roopnarine
06-30-2009, 11:37 PM
ok, here's the thing. my stock driveshaft seems to be about 3mm too short to fit onto the 3 series transmission (same model as my 525i, just out of a e36). I don't have the adjustable length driveshaft. I am sick of playing around and shifting the transmission around to see if i can close the gap--i don't think it can get any closer. the stock ds from my car has a bolt that engages the back part of the driveshaft. I can shim it out by sticking washers under this part, but I am worried about the driveshaft length creeping around by extending it this way.

there's nothing to keep the shaft from creeping forward except for the washer, which only holds tight (presumably) when pulling the back half of the shaft flush as possible with the washer.

i'm going to pick up a used d/s on thursday. the contact surfaces on the driveshaft flange are small, and the transmission flange contact surfaces are small. I don't think that washers would reduce the contact surfaces on either end. any thoughts or suggestions? thanks.

whiskychaser
07-01-2009, 03:19 AM
I've got an E36 tranny in mine and had no problems marrying it up. You can pre-load the prop towards the front quite easily. I'd be concerned there isnt enough 'meat' on the bolts if you pack them out and the prop is under too much strain from the start. I doesnt seem logical that the E36 prop would be longer but is it worth checking one?

bimmerred535i
07-03-2009, 12:27 AM
ok, here's the thing. my stock driveshaft seems to be about 3mm too short to fit onto the 3 series transmission (same model as my 525i, just out of a e36). I don't have the adjustable length driveshaft. I am sick of playing around and shifting the transmission around to see if i can close the gap--i don't think it can get any closer. the stock ds from my car has a bolt that engages the back part of the driveshaft. I can shim it out by sticking washers under this part, but I am worried about the driveshaft length creeping around by extending it this way.

there's nothing to keep the shaft from creeping forward except for the washer, which only holds tight (presumably) when pulling the back half of the shaft flush as possible with the washer.

i'm going to pick up a used d/s on thursday. the contact surfaces on the driveshaft flange are small, and the transmission flange contact surfaces are small. I don't think that washers would reduce the contact surfaces on either end. any thoughts or suggestions? thanks.

on my 325ix there are always problems with the front driveshaft not having enough grip on the spline, so I found out that I could use an e36 m3 guibo on the front to extend it.........SO what I am trying to say is that if you search around real oem you may be able to find a guibo disc that is thicker that would be closer to filling the gap that you have....its just a thought, the only downfall is that you now have more weight spinning on your driveshaft = slower acceleration :(