PDA

View Full Version : Windshield question

ahlem
06-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Does anyone have pictures of the components involved in replacing the windshield? I looked at realoem, hard to tell. The plastic mini drip channels on the sides and rubber gasket along the top are aged and cracking. I think there are some little clips and can see the flat black metal cover. My windshield took a couple rocks and needs to be replaced and I need to get the other parts ahead of time. Does one omit any parts for a really cool sleek look?

Ross
06-24-2009, 05:55 PM
The trim is two pieces and the clip. Sit down before you check the price.
Lots of auto glass places have a flat universal strip they use instead because insurance companies alway pitch a fit at the cost. The stuff is crap because of the way it's installed but is waay cheaper.

ahlem
06-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Hi Ross,
I have a quote of about $156 for the trim. I can't remember if that was per side. I was trying to figure out if the plastic mini gutter was included.
By the way, I just bought a 1987 325is so I'm momentarily out of the market for a white convertible.

Ross
06-25-2009, 08:23 AM
The price is likely per side, the little gutter is part of the molding. Only the OE glass comes with the clips BTW.
RE my E30
I just two days ago finally put all new struts, shocks, mounts and stops purchased in December under mine. Took it for a maiden voyage and after patching a badly deteriorated intake boot she runs great. My list of parts required to remedy that and a few other minor bits is short and cheap. The soft top is new and I just found a set of cross spoke wheels so it looks like a keeper for a while anyway, until I tire of the autobox.

zhandax
07-01-2009, 06:05 AM
I intend to call Peter to see what he has for the trim. The OEM part numbers for main L & R are 51318117457 and 51318117458. If the color does not contrast too badly, you should be able to reuse the center slider. When your clips (the ones attached to the windshield) get brittle and start to shear, the trim will slap against the body when you get behind a semi. It will drive you nuts trying to determine the source (ask me how I know). So far, I note Bell BMW in NJ (usually lower prices than RealOEM shows) has the L & R trim pieces for $96 each side. At least these are the real BMW parts. Then you will need the clips that go on the windshield to hold the trim down. These are $2 each from Bell and my car has 16 (have seen reports from 13 and up).

Ahlem, who quoted you $156? Any chance these are OEM parts? Even if not, I may opt for aftermarket for a decorative piece of plastic. I set up an appointment to get the glass replaced, but have discovered I can get the clips out of the windshield without removing the glass. My windshield is a bit pitted, but I think I will hit it with jewelers rouge and live with it. $250 for trim is enough.

bubba966
07-01-2009, 11:06 AM
I intend to call Peter to see what he has for the trim. The OEM part numbers for main L & R are 51318117457 and 51318117458. If the color does not contrast too badly, you should be able to reuse the center slider. When your clips (the ones attached to the windshield) get brittle and start to shear, the trim will slap against the body when you get behind a semi. It will drive you nuts trying to determine the source (ask me how I know). So far, I note Bell BMW in NJ (usually lower prices than RealOEM shows) has the L & R trim pieces for $96 each side. At least these are the real BMW parts. Then you will need the clips that go on the windshield to hold the trim down. These are $2 each from Bell and my car has 16 (have seen reports from 13 and up).

Ahlem, who quoted you $156? Any chance these are OEM parts? Even if not, I may opt for aftermarket for a decorative piece of plastic. I set up an appointment to get the glass replaced, but have discovered I can get the clips out of the windshield without removing the glass. My windshield is a bit pitted, but I think I will hit it with jewelers rouge and live with it. $250 for trim is enough.

I just check Tischer BMW (www.getbmwparts.com) where I order all my OEM parts from as I've yet to find a place that's got better service or cheaper prices and they list those at $96.20 each. So if you need to mail order the trim pieces you can always get them from Tischer for a lot less than $156...

Kibokojoe
07-01-2009, 12:22 PM
I have ordered from Tischer in the past with good success but I have always been worried about the price of shipping. You never know if you will get all of the parts in one shipping or if they will split up the order and in that case it could cost a lot for shipping of each part individually. Anyone ever been hosed for shipping from Tischer?

bubba966
07-01-2009, 01:24 PM
I have ordered from Tischer in the past with good success but I have always been worried about the price of shipping. You never know if you will get all of the parts in one shipping or if they will split up the order and in that case it could cost a lot for shipping of each part individually. Anyone ever been hosed for shipping from Tischer?

They've always gone out of their way to make sure I didn't spend much on shipping by waiting until everything was there before they shipped it so it was all in one box.

They've also asked me how I wanted it shipped when they've had to wait on some of the order to get in from Germany. I've always told them to just wait until it's all there before they ship.

True, Tischer isn't one of the cheap/free shippers. But they do only charge you the actual UPS/FedEx shipping cost.

Unlike Pacific BMW which charges you a % of the order total for shipping. I found that they charge 12.5% for ground shipping, 20% for second day, & 30% for next day. Gotta say I about **** when I saw their shipping charges when I was price checking a pair of front shocks and they wanted $250 for ground shipping from CA up to WA. Pacific BMW also has a variety of other problems since they went to online only mail order a few years ago. Don't get me started on those jerks...

Kibokojoe
07-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Didn't know they had a "wait" option. Thats good to know

bubba966
07-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Didn't know they had a "wait" option. Thats good to know

Yup, any time that part of my order had to come in from Germany they've always asked me if I wanted to ship it in two shipments or wait until they've got it all and ship it in one shot.

They've even air freighted the part (smaller parts only) in from Germany once or twice before to expedite my order at no extra charge to me. Gotta love that.:D

zhandax
07-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Whoa! Thanks guys, you are saints! I was expecting $250 just for the trim set. I just ordered trim, 16 clips, the slider and I added a transmission filter for $220. I may have a new favorite BMW dealer.

Separate question; since I found out I could get the clips out without removing the windshield, it appears the glue used for the glass does not stick to the plastic clips that well. The clips I removed had an adhesive pad that stuck to the outside surface of the glass. Do you think that will be enough to hold or should I use either adhesive or sealant for the two fingers that grip the inside of the glass?

dennyg
07-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I know its too late because you already ordered some new trim but I have used windshield trim for 65 shipped. I never save the white plastic because its always too brittle and looks like it would fail if used over. But the two pc that fits over everything holds up quite well.

zhandax
12-21-2009, 03:37 AM
Just a follow-up; I tried prying out the clips with a small screwdriver and ended up cracking the glass. I bit the bullet and got a new windshield. About $190 installed. No more pits! I watched them do it and was surprised to see that they assemble the trim to the windshield before they glue it in. These guys were hard-core; the lead tech has been doing car glass for 20 years.