PDA

View Full Version : OT: Lost my job, going on da welfare......

JD525IA
06-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Tomorrow is my last day of work at a semiconductor capital equipment manufacuring company I have worked at for over 13 years. Paid well and was fairly laid back. I had a corner window office with a great view and could do whatever I wanted. I was only a week away from my annual two week vacation, that kept me sane. The house will probably be gone by year's end. Three kids eat a lot.

That's all over now. I'm 42 and have to start over again. My background is in control systems engineering and my degree in Aerospace Engineering. Guess it's back to the defense contracting arena. Luckily, I have a lot of good contacts from those years.

It's getting ugly out there folks. The future is getting close to bleak. I hope I don't poop myself.

The E34 is paid for but the head gasket is on its way out. How hard is it to get one of these mutha's blazing?

Best of luck to you all..... I will look in on the forum from time to time.

JD

whiskychaser
06-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Been made redundant twice in my career. I vowed never to catch a bus and havent ridden one in 25 years. Lost a company that I developed a few years back and now drive trucks. I dont 'take work home' any more, my quality of life is better and I dont take myself so seriously. May even live longer.
Its a real kick in a sensitive place to lose your job but it can help you focus on whats important in your life. Wish you all the best mate

ScottyWM
06-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Been out of work 4 months now after 16 years with a great job. Whole company closed down. Just came back from lunch with about a dozen of the guys. What I've found is that looking for a job is harder and more time consuming than actually having a job! But, if the finances aren't killing you, in a few weeks you'll feel yourself decompressing and appreciating all the important things a little bit more. I'm 54 and it sucks the big one having to go through all the job hunting BS again, I was hoping to kind of coast for the next 10 years. At 42 you've still got a lot of energy and drive - and time to find a good paying laid back job again. Good luck man, there's a whole bunch of us out there!

BMWDriver
06-24-2009, 06:27 PM
I've often been between jobs, and not much changes : it's always scary at first, and you certainly worry about making ends meet. I've often daydreamed about loosing my appartment, furniture and all, and living in the street. What a nightmare. Never happened though. But I can tell you, I can live poor for a while and I've found some happiness in there too.

My ace in my sleeve is going to an agency. I've often found my best jobs that way. Somebody else does the looking for ya, but you also have to do your bit.

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-25-2009, 12:41 AM
Been there a few times over the years.

Spent those months on unempolyment hanging out with my kids.....Best F'n summers.

We built a bunch of balsa airplane models, few 'em, crashed 'em and fixed 'em.

ryan roopnarine
06-25-2009, 08:14 PM
I worked/interened at Cirent/Lucent's semiconductor fab in Orlando about 9 years ago. What company did you work for?

(it is weird to drive by a building, built for 3bn USD in the late 80s and see it abandoned, and them asking for offers in the double million range (might be single by now, it has been 7 years)).

Tomorrow is my last day of work at a semiconductor capital equipment manufacuring company I have worked at for over 13 years. Paid well and was fairly laid back. I had a corner window office with a great view and could do whatever I wanted. I was only a week away from my annual two week vacation, that kept me sane. The house will probably be gone by year's end. Three kids eat a lot.

That's all over now. I'm 42 and have to start over again. My background is in control systems engineering and my degree in Aerospace Engineering. Guess it's back to the defense contracting arena. Luckily, I have a lot of good contacts from those years.

It's getting ugly out there folks. The future is getting close to bleak. I hope I don't poop myself.

The E34 is paid for but the head gasket is on its way out. How hard is it to get one of these mutha's blazing?

Best of luck to you all..... I will look in on the forum from time to time.

JD