PDA

View Full Version : Took my fuel level sender out

Bo525i
06-24-2009, 09:35 AM
and cleaned the contact on the outside, the connector that goes to it and the solderings, now the dang car wonīt start.. All hoses were reattached correctly and I didnīt even touch the pump!

Initially the car wouldnīt start due to lack of fuel of course but then started when the pressure was up and I went to fill in some gas, even started fine again after that.. So I arrived home after a 50 km drive, no mishaps, parked it on a level spot and this morning when I was going to work it simply wouldnīt start at all even after like 10 tries

Fuse 23 is fine! Residual contactcleaner thatīs creating a short maybe?

All was well before I fiddled with it, what couldīve happened?

mikell
06-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Gotta be wiring - you probably disturbed something when you pulled the sender. Probably, you need to pull out the pump and see if you tugged something loose there. I assume that you did connect all the hoses.

What about putting an ohm meter across the power terminals for the pump - you could do that before openeing the tank to see if there is continuity - if you get infinite resistance, you've found the problem.

Bo525i
06-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Now that Iīm trying to recall any wierd behavior going home yesterday, I went for a beer after work when I started the car after that, it flickered briefly on the dash and interior lights like something electrical was shorting.. Going to take the pump and sender assembly apart again to find whats causing this as it wasnīt there before I took out the sender..

Bo525i
06-25-2009, 05:25 AM
It was what I suspected, residual contact cleaner that evidently doesnīt evaporate as fast as advertised, I did wait like 10 mins after cleaning.. Gave the connector a good spray with pressurized air and reconnected it! Bingo.. Started right away, no flickerings!

Thx for your suggestions and holding my hand! :)

Kibokojoe
06-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Which connector? Where? I am getting ready to do this job and need to know the pitfalls. :)
It was what I suspected, residual contact cleaner that evidently doesnīt evaporate as fast as advertised, I did wait like 10 mins after cleaning.. Gave the connector a good spray with pressurized air and reconnected it! Bingo.. Started right away, no flickerings!

Thx for your suggestions and holding my hand! :)

Bo525i
06-25-2009, 09:20 AM
The connector on the top lid outside the tank that feeds the level sender and pump.. You canīt miss it as you have to remove that plus 2 feed hoses to access the tank interior and the sender/pump units!

See pic:

1: level sender ground
2: low fuel warning light
3: level sender
4: pump ground
5: pump

Kibokojoe
06-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Cool

2fast
06-26-2009, 04:41 AM
So did the cleaning fix your erratic fuel level ,mine goes up and down when low.

Bo525i
06-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Somewhat, it still jumps around but not as much!