PDA

View Full Version : '89 525 new Baer rad prob w float level threads

Gene in NC
06-23-2009, 07:07 PM
'89 525 new Baer rad prob w float level threads. Tighten "nut/cap" of coolant level sensor and something happens where "nut" goes over tight and threads "slip". Then threads re engage and tighten to original failure point.

Catch 22, TIGHTENING BY HAND. No way can I have confidence in so little torque holding 15 psi.

Old radiator OK with attaching the coolant sensor.

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Try a new nut, or a good wrap with teflon tape.

or

you can go Afro American engineering and put a hose clamp on the nut to compress it.

632 Regal
06-24-2009, 07:51 AM
call the supplier and tell them you have a defective part... can that part be replaced on the radiator or swapped from the old radiator?

Tiger
06-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Hand tightened nut will hold more than 15PSI, but in your case, the thread is defective so get a replacement new unit.

whiskychaser
06-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Hand tightened nut will hold more than 15PSI, but in your case, the thread is defective so get a replacement new unit.
x1
If the nut tightens down ok on the old rad, the problem is the threads on the
new one. Assume you are putting the bits on before you fit the rad so at least you dont have to dump the coolant and take it off again

Gene in NC
06-24-2009, 09:30 AM
All tips right on and much appreciated. the ... rig might work and if so would certainly be easiest and quickest. Bot the rad on Fleabay for good price, but man oh man am I getting tiired of getting screwed up stuff from those vendors.

As bad as parts I'm getting from well established, well known BMW parts suppliers.

Tiger
06-24-2009, 10:04 AM
It is very rare for me to get screwed on ebay... Only once I got screwed badly but all the other transactions went good... over 500+ purchases.

Buying Baer is the same regardless you bought it from eBay or BMA... there are some bound to be defective. Is it possible that you are missing a gasket or something?

Washburn
06-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Same thing just happened to me. Then I noticed a new nut taped to the inside of the packaging, with a new o-ring.

Pisser of it was, that once it was all installed, the damn thing leaked from where the expansion tank meets the black plastic at the bottom. New stinkin' radiator! Do it again!

Ross
06-24-2009, 05:44 PM
If you decide to run what you've got try using teflon paste rather than T tape. It will help to hold the nut.

Gene in NC
08-19-2009, 05:51 AM
Thanks, all. Plumbers teflon tape fixed it.