PDA

View Full Version : Available to check out a car? Hoffman Estates anyone?

Jr ///M5
06-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Any of you live around Hoffman Estates or close by that can check out a '95 525i Olympic Edition for me? Actually, it's for my daughter. She has drove the wheels off of the '93 Limited Edition 190e and crunched the back of a high bumper van at a light. It has served as a good car with minimal trouble but it's time for a BMW.

If you're close by and willing to take a gander at it for me, I would appreciate it. It would save a potential 6 hour drive if it doesn't pan out.

PM if you can help...

JR

Ross
06-21-2009, 10:10 AM
PM sent

Robin-535im
06-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Hah - I remember when you bought the Mercedes, down in TX was it? It's been a while...

Jr ///M5
06-26-2009, 04:39 AM
Yeah, that was a cool trip.

Ross helped out this time and checked out a possibility for me. Ross, I owe you a case of your favorite beverage when we get together for the Chicago meet.

The possibilities had been narrowed down to 3 and the process of checking them out was clipping them off one at a time. Then, like all women do, she decided she would rather have a touring. It was my fault, I was showing her the wagons and explaining that they were like a cult car to the E34 family, they had a loyal following. Not to mention how versitile they were. Besides, they were cool. She fell in love. Especially since during her last year of college she would be needing something to haul the aquired junk around, or as the late George Carlin put it, "Stuff".....=)

I found a Cashmere Beige, 80k miler in Cincinnati Ohio, about 4 hours away. Aubrey and I will leave this morning to go get it. It's a 2 owner with all the service records, no accidents, no dings or dents or scratches or rust, fully detailed.

Natalie's Mercedes ended up being a good car for her. In 6 years, it took her all through high school and now to the last year of college. I sold it to a friend, who needed a car for his 16 year old daughter.

I still believe the E34 is one of the best made cars that BMW ever produced.

ScottyWM
06-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Good choice, IMHO. 80K ! Wow, what year is it? Be sure to show us Pics!

Hal
06-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Can't go wrong with a wagon. What did you end up paying, if I might ask?

Hal

1994 530iT 185,000mi Nikasil powered
1999 528iT 115,000mi Non-Nikasil
2003 325iT 84,000mi Non-Nikasil

Jr ///M5
06-27-2009, 04:03 PM
If you payed me a nickel an hour for all the research, false leads, and reading what liars had to say about their cars.....it would just about have paid for the car through the time that was spent sorting through the pile. I found the range was wide and the pick was few...sadly, most of the '95 E34's I searched was so much junk, if they even showed up at all.

It was a small pile indeed.

Yup, cult car....while driving home on the interstate, a beamer flys up beside me...he motors ahead a little toward the front of the car, looks back, nods his head, and gives the thumbs up sign...(I think it was the thumbs up?)...=) then, with a twist of the wrist, he was off in a flash.

It's a 1995, Cashmeire Beige...dual sunroofs, factory cd, heated leather, ASC-T, cargo net, cargo cover, roof rails, service records..blah, blah, blah.....it's so nerdy looking it's cool...

Aubrey and I drive back this morning from Cincinnati, the touring glides along at 80-90 mph, giving 27.8 mpg...that's with the A/C on...

Robin-535im
06-28-2009, 01:05 PM
...In 6 years, it took her all through high school and now to the last year of college. I sold it to a friend, who needed a car for his 16 year old daughter.

I still believe the E34 is one of the best made cars that BMW ever produced.

That was SIX years ago... hard to believe. Good to see another touring stay in the cult!