PDA

View Full Version : Could a bad rear wheel bearing cause a banging sound over bumps

repenttokyo
06-17-2009, 04:20 PM
As the title states, I had my car at the shop for an unrelated issue in the front suspension, and I asked the shop to investigate a banging sound that I have coming from the right rear suspension over bumps.

They tell me my bearing is bad, and that is responsible for the sound. It is entirely possible that the bearing is bad, bc it would explain some grinding sounds I also have from the same wheel. But would it account for the banging / booming sound as well?

BMWCCA1
06-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Are you sure they didn't say it was the upper strut bearing? Though it's not technically a "bearing" on this car, check this link:

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?p=287667#post287667

repenttokyo
06-17-2009, 06:51 PM
no, it was definitely the wheel bearing, according to what they explained over the phone. I replaced both the upper shock mounts 1 year ago, although I had suspected that perhaps one of them was bad again somehow.

Ross
06-18-2009, 08:09 AM
There must be a misunderstanding.
The axle bearing will make plenty of noise when bad but bang isn't one of them

Tiger
06-18-2009, 08:47 AM
I had bad rear wheel bearing on Mercedes... the result was a knocking noise. You can tell easily by trying to rock your wheel like the front to check on the bearing... It should be no play at all. If you compare it from right rear to left rear, you will know the difference.

Tiger
06-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Another thought... how abour rear subframe bushing? If this deteriorated, it would bang...

repenttokyo
06-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Another thought... how abour rear subframe bushing? If this deteriorated, it would bang...

another good suggestion, one that both I and the mechanic considered. the thing is, I replaced those 2 years ago - doesn't mean they are still good, but he checked them and said they are ok.

The sound is as you described on your mercedes with the bad wheel bearing. I'm going to find out more today.

I appreciate the brainstorming guys.

bmwrp8
06-18-2009, 09:02 AM

+1 on that. i have a banging noise in the rear too.. changed the subframe and its gone

repenttokyo
06-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Just came back from the garage - the bearing was indeed bad. I could easily move the wheel in ways I shouldn't be able to, and it was even noticeable with the wheel on the ground.

Everything else checks out according to the shop, so I will have the new bearing pressed on and then report back as to whether that solves the noise entirely.