PDA

View Full Version : Wierd 535i display behaviour

islandphile
06-08-2004, 12:24 AM
I think there might be a shorting problem...the Check Engine light won't stay lit for more than a half second after I turn the key to "run".

If I try and do a stomp test, the Check Engine light comes on only when the pedal is matted, then goes out as I take my foot off it....or it flickers when matted. Then my speedo and temp guage needles started moving on their own.

And further to my previous post "Strange Starting Problem", I think it may have been a shorting problem all along.

Anyone have an idea where I should begin to hunt this down and how?

islandphile
06-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Is there a known problem spot on the harnesses...I could hear a small shorting noise when the key was in the run position...but it's not doing it anymore so all I know is that it came from somewhere near the harnesses and ABS unit.

henryw525i
06-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Along time ago I had some strange instrument behavior due to a broken wire on the harness that runs down from the boot lid to under the parcel shelf and then under the rear seats. Have a look where the boot hinge meets the bottom of the parcel shelf.

islandphile
06-09-2004, 03:13 AM
Thanks Henry! I'll have a peek there. Cheers!

islandphile
06-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Ok, I'm back up & running! Thanks to everyone for their help.

Turned out there was a short in one of the wiring harnesses in the engine compartment. I wiggled them around and then all of a sudden the "Check Engine" light would stay on when the key was in the "RUN" position (as normal). Turned over it to start and it fired right up.

The short is still in there somewhere, maybe a poor ground, but right now she runs perfect...We also put in a new CPS, coil, DME and Fuel Pump Relays, new TPS...seems to run a bit stronger & better responsiveness than before.