PDA

View Full Version : M30 valve ticking

Kibokojoe
06-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Several months ago I found the M30 front oil train banjo bolt lying in the valve train. I reinstalled the bolts with new locking washers and readjusted all the valves. Since then I have been living with noisy valves. I adjusted the valves three times but they still make noise. I looked at the lobes on the cam but I didn't see any damage. I have checked the noise with a stethoscope up and down the valve cover and it is noisier at the front of the engine where the banjo bolt fell out...which makes sense. Does the M30 have hydraulic lifters and if so can I use a cleaner to fix a sticky lifter? Does the M30 have solid lifters and there for I need to replace the eccentrics? I have a M30 in my 89 535i and it is as quiet as a sewing machine so I know the valve noise is a problem.

RockJock
06-14-2009, 11:35 PM
I’ve read that if you adjust them on the tight side, at almost operating temp, you can get them to the point where they hardly make any noise. I’ve never adjusted the valves on my 535i myself; I need to watch someone else do it first. I think it takes experience to get the right feel for it…

I’ve always been able to hear the valve train on my car (like a healthy Singer sewing machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZdqD1K7ZlM&feature=related), more so when I run 0-30 in the winter and quieter with the 20-50 in the summer. I’ve read that they’ll always be noisy when adjusted to spec on a stonecold motor.

I’ve always wondered what a new M30 sounds like (ie., one with less than 10K miles on the clock)?

I’d like to know what the gurus/pros have to say about adjusting them on the tight side on a warm motor. It’s a bad idea..no?!?

whiskychaser
06-15-2009, 03:24 AM
The M30 has rocker arms with eccentrics to adjust the valve clearances. You can get wear on the rocker arm where it meets the cam lobe but more likely on the eccentric where the valve hits it. Over time it may make a dent. So when you put the feeler gauge in it doesnt measure the real gap as it will only fit between the highest points. I wouldnt really recommend reducing the gap. You dont know how much wear to allow for and it will vary from valve to valve anyway. Plus if you get it wrong it will run badly or you may actually cause the motor some harm. I dont know what the book says about adjusting clearances with the engine hot. But Ive always found cold steel and oil nicer to work with than hot:D

e34.535i.sport
06-15-2009, 05:19 AM
I've done my m30 valves a few times now, took a while to get the hang of it. I adjusted them tigher the second time and they were actually noisier than before, so I re-done them a third time. I went for a slightly bigger clearance for 'health' reasons (supposed to be better for the seals etc if u set them wider) and I took my time and made sure they were all EXACTLY the same clearance by setting them, checking and checking again. This worked out much quieter dispite being wider, I assume I had made some small errors in adjusting them previously and they weren't all set the same. I think there's always going to be some level of noise from the m30 but the injectors add to it too don't forget. HTH :D

e34.535i.sport
06-15-2009, 05:21 AM
... Ive always found cold steel and oil nicer to work with than hot:D

I'm with Whisky on this one... All the research I done suggested it's best to set them with the ingine stone cold. I've had success with this too. :)

Kibokojoe
06-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Sounds like I need to replace the eccentrics and adjust them cold.

RockJock
06-15-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm with Whisky on this one... All the research I done suggested it's best to set them with the ingine stone cold. I've had success with this too. :)

Haha, ouch indeed ;).

I've always had mine done to spec with a stone-cold motor but I know some people adjust them on the tight side on a warm motor...

Do you guys pull the plugs before doing your valve adjustments?

Anybody here ever have the opportunity to hear a new M30??

whiskychaser
06-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Haha, ouch indeed ;).
Do you guys pull the plugs before doing your valve adjustments?

Anybody here ever have the opportunity to hear a new M30??
I've got an M50 so dont have to do them anyway:D But I'd certainly pull the plugs and rotate the engine only in the direction it normally runs. If you cant get to the crank bolt (you cant on the M50 unless you drop the sump guard) then just put it in high gear and push it forward. Health and Safety note: do not do this on a hill;)
Regret I've never heard a 'new' M30 but I'm sure they cant be as loud as that sewing machine you posted:D

Kibokojoe
06-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Readjusted the valves after removing and checking each eccentric cam for any flat spots. If there was a flat spot I could not see it. Still sounds terrible. Wonder if I have a sticking valve or two?

I've got an M50 so dont have to do them anyway:D But I'd certainly pull the plugs and rotate the engine only in the direction it normally runs. If you cant get to the crank bolt (you cant on the M50 unless you drop the sump guard) then just put it in high gear and push it forward. Health and Safety note: do not do this on a hill;)
Regret I've never heard a 'new' M30 but I'm sure they cant be as loud as that sewing machine you posted:D

Kibokojoe
06-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Found this on the Bimmerforum. I am going to try it after the engine cools down this evening.

"Adjusting the valves on the cam side is a great technique for a higher mileage enigne or one that didn't get a lot of love in its early life. Over time the valve stems can get some wear on them -- sort of a cupping. If you adjust for a cold .012 on the valve stem, you are not taking into account the "cupped" part of the stem where the eccentric actually makes contact because your feeler gauge is flat.

The cam side technique is essentially the same, but you measure between the rocker pad and the cam with the lobe pointed straight down at the cylinder. The best measurement I have found for this is .009. I tried .008 one time and it was too tight. The car idled poorly. Th idea is that .009 would be equal to a .012 on the valve side if there was no wear.

I recently had a valve that was very loud. The ticking was more of a clacking and it made me nervous. The conventional method of adjusting did not fix the problem. I went back and did the cam side adjustment and now the motor
sounds perfect. After adjusting to .009 on that valve (camside) I went and measured the clearance at the valve stem and it was .010. So that tells me that the engine has a little wear in the valve train. Anyway, hope this helps. There are some great technical write-ups on this stuff at mye28.com

Take it easy,

Paul"

Readjusted the valves after removing and checking each eccentric cam for any flat spots. If there was a flat spot I could not see it. Still sounds terrible. Wonder if I have a sticking valve or two?

ArnZ!
06-15-2009, 06:36 PM
The last valve adjust i did, i used the cam side procedure. Didn't really make a difference, the m30 just likes to tick i guess.

bubba966
06-15-2009, 08:08 PM
I know this will sound a bit odd to you. But have you checked the spark plugs?

I had a ticking towards the front passenger bank on my M60. Didn't go away with oil clean and flush. No valves to adjust so that wasn't it.

Eventually figured out one of the spark plugs had come a bit loose and would cause a slight bit of blow-by which in turn would make the ticking noise. Once the new plug was tightened down properly the ticking was completely gone.

Honestly it's probably not the cause of your ticking seeing how you've got an M30. But it's a cheap and easy thing to check. Not to mention if a plug is loose it'll run better once it's in tight, so that's a small bonus to checking them.

Kibokojoe
06-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Tried the rocker cam adjustment and it sounds better but still sounds like a sticking valve. I also put in new plugs with some antiseize copper grease, still makes noise. I have another M30 in my 535i and it doesn't sound as bad as this one

I know this will sound a bit odd to you. But have you checked the spark plugs?

I had a ticking towards the front passenger bank on my M60. Didn't go away with oil clean and flush. No valves to adjust so that wasn't it.

Eventually figured out one of the spark plugs had come a bit loose and would cause a slight bit of blow-by which in turn would make the ticking noise. Once the new plug was tightened down properly the ticking was completely gone.

Honestly it's probably not the cause of your ticking seeing how you've got an M30. But it's a cheap and easy thing to check. Not to mention if a plug is loose it'll run better once it's in tight, so that's a small bonus to checking them.

Kibokojoe
06-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I have pulled the valve cover again and am checking the lateral movement of the rocker arms. There isn't any play to speak of. Is there any way of compressing the valves to check them, (broken spring, sticking???) I know I don't want the retainers to come out because I don't want to pull the head unless I absolutely have to. I am going to partially reassemble it tonight and run the engine with the valve cover off. To see if there is anything funny going on. Was wondering if the oil pressure could be low. How do you check the oil pressure?

nirvana19
06-16-2009, 11:40 AM
How many miles on the 735i? When the rockers and cam wear, the engine will tick fairly loudly regardless of how you adjust the valves. If a mechanic set them tighter at one point to quiet them down that would have only increased the wear and eventually lead to premature loud ticking. Nonetheless, not anything to worry about but just rather annoying

Kibokojoe
06-16-2009, 01:42 PM
117,000 but don't know if PO messed with the valve adjustment. Car ticked when I bought it, found the front banjo bolt lying in the head. Reinstalled the banjo bolt with new lock washers (made them myself :))Each time I have removed the valve cover the cam is covered with oil so believe they are getting the proper amount of lubrication now, but I don't know how long the PO drove it with the banjo bolt out. Maybe this ruined the rockers and cam. I have pushed on the rocker arms and there is no lateral play to speak of. But the Bentley manual says valve adjustment and worn rocker arms are the two major sources of clatter.

Kibokojoe
06-16-2009, 01:55 PM
A modification to a sprayer bar

http://www.cscoupe.org/tech/spray_bar_fix/70590.html

117,000 but don't know if PO messed with the valve adjustment. Car ticked when I bought it, found the front banjo bolt lying in the head. Reinstalled the banjo bolt with new lock washers (made them myself :))Each time I have removed the valve cover the cam is covered with oil so believe they are getting the proper amount of lubrication now, but I don't know how long the PO drove it with the banjo bolt out. Maybe this ruined the rockers and cam. I have pushed on the rocker arms and there is no lateral play to speak of. But the Bentley manual says valve adjustment and worn rocker arms are the two major sources of clatter.

whiskychaser
06-16-2009, 04:23 PM
A modification to a sprayer bar

http://www.cscoupe.org/tech/spray_bar_fix/70590.html
He doesnt say how big to drill the holes:). People used to go at them on the Pinto engines to make sure they were clear. They just made the holes bigger and reduced the pressure. Looks like a good mod though!!

If the eccentrics are fine but you have def got indentations in the valve heads, any way you could get a vernier or something in there to measure how deep? You could just subtract that from the gauge gap. There may be wear on the cam end of the rocker too but you will be taking that up when you insert the feeler gauge in the gap at the valve end.

Kibokojoe
06-16-2009, 06:27 PM
I don't see anywhere to drill holes just pinch the pipe together to make two chambers. This really works, although there is still some clicking the noise has really diminished quite a bit. Set the rocker arms cam gap to .009 (stone cold)

He doesnt say how big to drill the holes:). People used to go at them on the Pinto engines to make sure they were clear. They just made the holes bigger and reduced the pressure. Looks like a good mod though!!

If the eccentrics are fine but you have def got indentations in the valve heads, any way you could get a vernier or something in there to measure how deep? You could just subtract that from the gauge gap. There may be wear on the cam end of the rocker too but you will be taking that up when you insert the feeler gauge in the gap at the valve end.

ArnZ!
06-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Ahh yes the dual chamber mod, Ive been contemplating doing that to mine. Did you take ur bar off and do the mod our of the car or whilst it was still in the car?

Kibokojoe
06-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Take the bar off the car, but you will have to replace the crush washers on the banjo bolts. I made my own on my metal lathe with aluminum. I also made these lockdown brackets out of brass. With these no way for the bolts to back out ;)
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj225/kibokojoe/bracketforbanjoboltsidephoto.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj225/kibokojoe/banjoboltbracketdrawing4.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj225/kibokojoe/bracketforbanjoboltmounted.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj225/kibokojoe/bracketforbanjobolt.jpg

Ahh yes the dual chamber mod, Ive been contemplating doing that to mine. Did you take ur bar off and do the mod our of the car or whilst it was still in the car?

bubba966
06-16-2009, 10:41 PM
This really works, although there is still some clicking the noise has really diminished quite a bit.

What type and weight of oil are you using? I've found different oils increase or decrease engine noise. Mobil 1 one has increased noise over standard dino oils in my experience. And have had Amsoil decrease noise over standard dino oils. Changing from Mobil 1 to Amsoil makes a significant drop in engine noise.

Kibokojoe
06-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Amsoil.....I will give it a go and let you know

Ross
06-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Tried the rocker cam adjustment and it sounds better but still sounds like a sticking valve. I also put in new plugs with some antiseize copper grease, still makes noise. I have another M30 in my 535i and it doesn't sound as bad as this one

Since you've tried adjusting at the lobe and the noise persists I'd suggest tightening up the lash a couple thou. If you aren't used to how the lash should feel double check by trying to insert the next size feeler gauge, if it fits then too loose. Cam position is critical also.
An M30 will begin to idle poorly if you tighten up the lash too much. They are sensitive to lash and I have always found it difficult to get the proper balance between noise and idle quality.

bubba966
06-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Amsoil.....I will give it a go and let you know

I'm fond of their 0w30 in my M-Sport (182k miles) & '79 Chevy truck (250k+). Their 5w40 European Formula is nice as well if you don't care to drop the $ on the 0w30. Have used that in a '95 M50 (150k), '93 S38B36 (92k), A '95 Miata (145k), and a few other vehicles.

I'd probably just put the Euro formula in at the next oil change if I was you.

Kibokojoe
06-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Hmm I thought I was at the limit now. Yes I tested the gap .009 go .010 no go (rocker/cam). I am afraid to go any smaller, won't there be reprocussions besides rough idle?

632 Regal
06-17-2009, 01:53 PM
if you go too tight the valve heads can burn off due to no cooling when the valve is supposed to be closed.

Hmm I thought I was at the limit now. Yes I tested the gap .009 go .010 no go (rocker/cam). I am afraid to go any smaller, won't there be reprocussions besides rough idle?

whiskychaser
06-17-2009, 01:59 PM
if you go too tight the valve heads can burn off due to no cooling when the valve is supposed to be closed.
x1.
Read somewhere 75% of the heat goes through the valve seat. So if it doesnt close properly you can end up with something like this:

Ross
06-17-2009, 03:52 PM
But if not too loose then what else? No hydraulics on an M30.

whiskychaser
06-17-2009, 04:46 PM
But if not too loose then what else? No hydraulics on an M30.
Doubt our friend wants to take it apart to find out exactly:) It probably is just wear but a weak spring could be causing a valve to bounce?

Kibokojoe
06-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Looks like I will eventually need to rebuild the head, but until then I guess I will live with the valve clatter. :( Is there a good source for heads?

Doubt our friend wants to take it apart to find out exactly:) It probably is just wear but a weak spring could be causing a valve to bounce?

John B.
06-19-2009, 08:19 AM
I run 5w/50 Syntec in the summer & 5w/40 in the winter. Normal valve adjustment measured at the rockers & no annoying ticking. I find the engine in our 525iT to be much noisier.

shogun
04-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Joe, did you meanwhile rebuild the head? What were your findings when you disassembled the head?

shogun
04-15-2013, 03:27 AM
just a reminder.
Here is another link and M30 engine is their favorite
straightsixbimmers
https://sites.google.com/site/straightsixbimmers/home

One question juat out of interest: in case a rocker arm is broken: any shortcuts to replace them without removing the head?
I have read it should be possible, especially the front ones, but no real details, how?

genphreak
04-15-2013, 06:37 AM
There is a funky way of manipulating the follower with allen keys, but not many have managed it- perhaps only works on the smaller arms on the M20 though.

I remember Rustam detailed something interesting like this on his repair pages (http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerdcib/e34a), but they seem to be offline now. I dug them up on waybackmachine (http://web.archive.org/web/20090422225636/http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerdcib/e34a/id1.html), but alas, show only how to remove the camshaft once the head is off :-(

shogun
04-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Meanwhile found something.
if it is the first 3 cylinders, you can do it
without removing the head. I have searched for an old thread from the German forum and here I copied it for you, copy all and use google translate or any other translation program.

Kipphebel am M30 Motor ohne Ausbau des Zylinderkopfes austauschen

Hallo Forum,

nachdem ein Forumskollege, der momentan in einer etwas angespannten Finanzsituation steckt, leider einen Kipphebelbruch hatte, der ja oft den wirtschaftlichen Tot des 7er Motors bedeutet, da fuer ein Revision der Zylinderkopf runter muss und dann letztlich mit Nockenwelle, Kipphebeln, Ventile schleifen, Kopf planen, Dichtsatz usw. ca. 1000 Euro zusammenkommen (ohne Werkstattkosten, wenn man es nicht selber machen kann) hab ich ueberlegt, wie man helfen kann und kam auf die Idee ob es nicht moeglich sein sollte den Kipphebel im eingebauten Zustand zu wechseln.

Gesagt getan und was soll ich sagen? Es geht..
Allerdings nur wenn der Kipphebelbruch an den Kipphebeln der ersten drei Zylinder passiert, was aber in der ueberwiegenden Zahl der Faelle der Fall ist.

Nur damit wir und nicht falsch verstehen. Der Kipphebelbruch ist in der Regel die Folge von eingelaufenen Nockenwellen/Kipphebeln die dazu fuehren, dass selbst bei korrekt eingestellten Ventilspiel ein Tackern zu hoeren ist. Dieses Tackern kommt davon, dass der Nocken permanent auf den Kipphebel schlaegt. Da bei 3000 Umdrehungen,1500 Schlaege die Minute auf den Kipphebel prasseln, bedeutet das, dass bei 10 Stunden Betriebszeit des Motors rund eine Millionen Mal der Kipphebel einen Schlag bekommt. Deswegen bricht dort irgendwann das Material an einfach an Ermuedung. Besonders wenn so ein Motor dann noch Kickdown gedroschen wird..

Also macht es natuerlich keinen Sinn, wenn man eine uebel eingelaufene Nockenwelle hat, einfach die Kipphebel zu tauschen und zu denken, dass man jetzt die naechsten 100.000 Kilometer Ruhe hat.

Das einzig vernuenftige ist eine Zylinderkopfrevision oder einen guten gebrauchten Motor einzubauen.

Aber in dem Fall, bei dem die Einlaufspuren der Nockenwelle noch nicht so gravierend sind und vielleicht Motorwechsel beziehungsweise Revision nicht wirtschaftlich sind, kann dies eine Moeglichkeit sein, das Fahrzeug wieder in Gang zu bringen.

Was braucht man?

Werkzeug:
Ratschekasten
Feststellzange
Brecheisen
große Wasserpumpenzange
Maulschluessel SW 10, 19 ,32
Schraubendreher
Drehmomentschluessel 80 Nm

Material:
Kabelbinder
Stueck Kunststoff oder etwas als Schutz fuer die Kipphebelwellen
Hylomar (Dichtmittel)
Zeit und ein bisschen Mut

Und so geht es....

Als erstes muss der Ventildeckel runter, dazu natuerlich Luftfilter, LMM (airflowmeter), Leerlaufregler (ohne EML) Zuendkabel entfernen und dann den Ventildeckel runter schrauben. Die Dichtung abnehmen damit diese nicht beschaedigt wird.

Zuendkerzen ausbauen und schauen ob die Zuendkerze des betroffenen Zylindern noch halbwegs normal aussieht. Ist diese verbrannt sind wahrscheinlich auch die Ventile beschaedigt.

Das Oelrohr abbauen. Dazu die Hohlschrauben (banjo bolts) entfernen, dass Oelrohr ganz nach hinten schieben, um es aus dem vorderen Halter zu nehmen und dann nach vorne raus ziehen. Das ist teils sehr stoerrisch, also muss man vorsichtig hebeln. Das Oelrohr muss nicht unbedingt raus aber man hat nachher einfach mehr Platz zum arbeiten.

Jetzt kommt eine wichtige Vorarbeit!
Den Motor an der Viskomutter (nut of the visco clutch) so durchdrehen, dass vorne die Aussparungen am Nockenwellenflansch so liegen, dass die Kipphebelwelle gezogen werden kann und, ganz Wichtig, nur das Ventil des defekten Kipphebels betaetigt (gedrueckt) ist.

Viskoluefter abbauen,

Dann, die Verteilerkappe (SW8) und den Finger (HX5) entfernen, die darunter liegenden Aufnahme des Verteilerfingers (HX6) abschrauben und den Kunststoffschutz mit abnehmen.

Das Thermostatgehaeuse (SW10) abschrauben und abnehmen, die Schlaeuche koennen dran bleiben. Es tritt zwar ein wenig Wasser aus, aber das kann nachher einfach wieder aufgefuellt werden.

Sollte es sich um den Kipphebel des ersten Zylinder handeln muss der Kuehler ausgebaut werden, da sonst nicht genug Platz nach vorne ist. Für Zylinder 2-3 nicht. Dann den Zylinderkopfstirndeckel abschrauben (SW10). Dort sind jeweils 3 Schrauben recht und links und zwei an Boden. Den Deckel vorsichtig mit dem Brecheisen abhebeln. Der klebt in der Dichtung und hat Fuehrungsbuchsen (guide bushes). Also brauchst es ein wenig Nachdruck.

Jetzt kommt ein heikler Teil:
Da die Kipphebelwellen von den Zylinderkopfschrauben in Position gehalten werden, muessen pro Kipphebelwelle vier Zylinderkopfschrauben raus. Das ist natuerlich nicht gut, da der Zylinderkopf sich da leicht verzieht. Also macht ihr folgendes. In der richtigen Reihenfolge werden die Zylinderkopfschrauben geloest, bis sie mehr als handfest angezogen sind.
Das heisst, man loest erst mal alle Schrauben, aber eben gleichmaessig und nicht vollstaendig. Die Zylinderkopftdichtung soll weiter Druck haben, aber eben keinen vollen Druck auf der einen und keinen Druck auf der anderen Seite, weil die Schrauben fehlen. Erst dann baut ihr die vier Schrauben unserer Kipphebelwelle aus.

Ein weiterer heikler Teil:
Nun muss das Nockenwellenrad ab. Auch das ist ein kritischer Teil, da nachher die Steuerzeiten wieder stimmen muessen. Ich habe da eine Methode entwickelt, mit der das aber relativ problemlos geht. Ihr macht erst mal mit Bremsenreiniger, Nockenwellenrad, Kette und Kurbelwellenscheibe an einer gut sichbaren Stelle sauber und markiert Euch mit einem gut lesbaren und abwischfesten Stift (weisser Lack edding) die Stellung eben von Nockenwelle, Kette und Kurbelwelle, damit ihr nachher kontrollieren koennt, dass wieder alles stimmt. Dann schraubt den Kettenspanner raus. (SW19) und die vier Schrauben des Nockenwellenrades (SW10).
ACHTUNG: Das Rad unbedingt fest halten, damit es nicht unkontrolliert ab geht. Dann das Rad mit Kette vorsichtig abnehmen und nach oben auf Spannung halten damit erstens das Rad auf der Kette bleibt und zweitens unten an der Kurbelwelle die Kette nicht springt. Dann das Kettenrad und die Kette mit Kabelbindern fixieren und das Kettenrad, wie auf dem Foto weiter unter zu sehen, am Thermostatgehaeuse fixieren. Wenn Ihr das macht, muesst ihr nachher einfach das Nockenwellenrad wieder in die alte Position schrauben und die Steuerzeiten stimmen.

Jetzt noch die zwei Halteschrauben der Nockenwelle hinter dem Nockenwellenflansch (SW10) entfernen und den Halteflansch so drehen dass man die Kipphebelwellen ziehen kann. Achtung: Nicht ins Kettengehaeuse fallen lassen sonst duerft ihr auch noch die Oelwanne abbauen.

Jetzt an der betroffenen Kipphebelwelle, zunaechst die Excenter ausbauen (SW10), einfach damit nacher mehr Spiel zur Montage ist. Dann die Kipphebel einzeln zur Seite schieben (In Richtung Feder). Den schwarzen Ring rechts neben jedem Kipphebel etwas zur Seite schieben und den Sprengring von der Kipphebelwelle nehmen. Falls der Kipphebel klemmt, mit sanften Hammerschlägen bewegen.

Jetzt kann die Kipphebelwelle gezogen werden. Das ist etwas haarig, weil die meist sehr spack sitzt und natuerlich mindestens ein Kipphebel Druck hat. Ganz gut ging das bei uns, indem wir eine Kipphebelfeder zur Seite geschoben haben, um die Kipphebelwelle ein Stueck Kunststoff gelegt haben, um Kratzer und Druckstellen zu vermeiden, und dann mit einer Feststellzange die Welle erst Mal ein wenig gedreht und dann mit staendigen hin und her drehen nach vorne geschoben haben.
Noch einmal: Die Welle wird gehalten von dem Nochenwellenbefestigungsflasch, der muss zum Ausbau richtig gedreht sein, von den Zylinderkopfschrauben, alle vier müssen ausgebaut sein und den Sprengringen der Kipphebel. Alle drei muessen entfernt sein. Und die Nockenwelle muss etwas gedreht werden damit die Aussparung am Nockenwellenflach mit der Kipphebelwelle passt.
Keine Angst, man kann die Nockenwelle gut 15° drehen ohne dass Ventile die Kolben beruehren. Dazu einfach die Nockenwelle am Kettenradflansch vorne mit einer großen Wasserpumpenzange drehen.
ACHTUNG: Dabei natuerlich mit extremer Vorsichtig agieren. Sobald da ein fester Widerstand ist, nicht weiter drehen!!!

Sobald die Kipphebelwelle aus dem mittleren Lagerbock kommt kann man vorsichtig mit dem Brecheisen hebeln. Hier ist viel Sensibilitaet und keine grobe Gewalt gefordert. Man kann dann Kipphebel fuer Kipphebel mit Feder, Scheibe, Kipphebel und Sprengringscheibe heraus nehmen.
ACHTUNG: Unbedingt so ablegen das der Kipphebel wieder an seinem urspruengliche Platz landet, da Nockenwelle und Kipphebel aufeinander eingeschliffen sind.

Wenn man dann am defekten Kipphebel angekommen ist, diesen ausbauen und ab hier wird wieder montiert.

Zusammenbau:

Der Zusammenbau finde in umgekehrter Reihenfolge statt.

Deswegen nur ein paar Tips für Details:

Falls die Welle draussen war, auf die Einbaurichtung achten.
Die Schraube, die in einem Ende eingesetzt ist muss nach vorne zeigen. Die Kipphebelwelle fungiert auch als Oelkanal und die Schraube verschliesst diesen.

Die Kipphebelwelle kann man vorsichtig von vorne mit dem Hammer eintreiben. Dazu ein geeignetes Stueck Holz oder Kunststoff zum Schutz der Welle verwenden.
ACHTUNG: Das erfordert schon nachhaltigen Druck aber keine grobe Gewalt..

Der abgebrochene Kipphebel steht natuerlich unter Spannung, weil wir die Nockenwelle ja so gedreht hatten, dass dieser Kipphebel unter Druck steht. Es muss also zum Einbau dieses Kipphebels das Ventil geoeffnet werden, weil man ja die Nockenwelle nicht drehen kann, da ja die Kipphebelwelle im Weg ist.
Das Ventil drueckt mit gut 60 kg und das zu oeffnen und gleichzeitig den Kipphebel einzubauen ist nicht ganz einfach. Wir haben dazu einfach zwei Ratschenverlaengerungen genommen und diese auf das Ventil/Ventilteller gesetzt und dann mit der Brust und einem Stueck Holz dazwischen, damit es nicht so weh tut, das Ventil auf gedrueckt, waehrend der andere den Kipphebel eingesetzt hat.
ACHTUNG: Vorsichtig agieren, damit nicht die Ventilkeile raus fallen. Das Ventil bekommt ihr sonst nicht mehr eingebaut. Dann geht nur noch Zylinderkopf runter.

Also erst nur auf das Ventil selbst druecken und nur zum Schluss, wenn der Kipphebel schon fast drauf ist, seitlich auf den Federteller druecken.
Unbedingt darauf achten, dass erst der schwarze Ring mit der Nut Richtung Federring, dann der Kipphebel, die Unterlegscheibe und dann die Feder eingebaut wird. Nichts ist aergerlicher, als wenn man die Welle drin hat und dann feststellt, dass eine Scheibe fehlt oder der schwarze Ring verkehrt herum ist.

Die Welle weiter eintreiben und auf diese Weise alle Kipphebel einbauen. Darauf achten das die Aussparungen in der Welle fuer die Zylinderkopfschrauben richtig sitzen. Die Welle soweit eintreiben, bis die Aussparungen mit Blick von oben in die Zylinderkopfschraubenoeffnungen genau fluchten. Sobald die Welle drin ist, die Sicherungsklammern wieder setzen und schauen, dass die Kipphebel richtig in Position sind.

Dann den Nockenwellenhalteflansch wieder anschrauben, die Nockenwelle muss dazu wieder leicht verdreht werden.

Das Nockenwellenrad wieder auf die Nockenwelle schrauben. Dazu unbedingt auf Spannung halten, damit die Kette nicht auf der Kurbelwelle springt. Schauen ob die vorher gemachten Markierungen an Kurbelwelle und Nockenwelle fluchten.
ACHTUNG: Stimmt dies nicht ist der Motor nach dem ersten durchdrehen per Anlasser Schrott, weil möglicherweise die Ventile und die Kolben zusammen stoßen.

Kettenspanner wieder einbauen

Jetzt die Zylinderkopfschrauben saeubern und die Loecher der Zylinderkopfschrauben reinigen. Dazu mit Bremsenreiniger fluten und mit Pressluft ausblasen.
VORSICHT: Bei der linken (in Fahrtrichtung) vorderen und hinteren Zylinderkopfschraube. Das sind Oelkanäle, Dort nicht mit Bremsenreiniger arbeiten.

Zylinderkopfschrauben wieder einsetzen und handfest anziehen. Jetzt mit dem vorgeschriebenen Drehmoment (60NM, 20 Minuten warten dann 80 NM) in der vorgeschriebenen Reihenfolge anziehen.

Die Dichtflaeche des Stirndeckel saeubern und beidseitig mit Hylomar bestreichen. Dazu auch die Zylinderkopfdichtung anheben (Den Teil am Stirndeckel) und Hylomar darunter streichen.

Thermostatgehäuse einbauen.

Ventile einstellen dabei die fehlenden Excenter einbauen.

Nachdem Einbau des Oelrohrs (Einbaurichtung beachten, Pfeil muss nach vorne zeigen), Motor ohne Zuendkerzen von einem Helfer mit Hilfe des Anlassers laufen lassen und schauen ob aus allen Oeffnungen Oel austritt. Vorher sinnvoller Weise einen Schluck Oel über alle Nocken giessen um Trockenlauf zu vermeiden.

Dann Kompression pruefen. Nur so kann man sehen, ob ein Ventil schon Schaden genommen hat. Dann war leider alles für die Katz.

Den Rest wieder zusammenbauen , Kuehlflüssigkeit auffuellen, Oel pruefen und Motor starten.

Mit ein bisschen Glueck läuft der wieder wie man es vom M30 gewohnt ist.

Der Motor ist natuerlich jetzt moeglichst schonend zu fahren wenn die Nockenwelle schon leicht eingelaufen ist um den nächsten Kipphebelbruch nicht zu erleben.

Ich hoffe dem einen oder anderen hilft diese Anleitung weiter..

---------------------------------------------
The original post also shows 8 pictures, but you can only enlarge them if you are a registered member there, here the link
Motorraum Kipphebel am M30 Motor ohne Ausbau des Zylinderkopfes austauschen (http://www.7-forum.com/forum/24/kipphebel-m30-motor-ohne-ausbau-zylinderkopfes-160208.html)

Rustam
04-15-2013, 11:37 AM
One question juat out of interest: in case a rocker arm is broken: any shortcuts to replace them without removing the head?
I have read it should be possible, especially the front ones, but no real details, how?

I am sorry this is not possible Shogun... The reason for this is the fact that the rocker shafts have cutouts in them that cross-engage with the head bolts. These are on the way of shafts' removal from the head bolted down. Here, please note the side cutouts made for passage of head bolts: 7770

I made a mistake of typing the rest totally forgetting about this issue. The following still helps in case the head is off but one does not want to remove the camshaft

The camshaft is attached to the head using a flange at the front, right behind the cam sprocket flange.

1 remove the chain off the cam sprocket.
2 remove cam sprocket
3 disengage the flange mounting the cam to the head
4 turn this flange, exposing the rocker shaft ends.

this involves using a big socket on the camshaft nut to undo sprocket flange, and also involves a pulley for the camshaft sprocket flange

in case these are not available a try can work :

1 remover the sprocket, and see the 2 cutouts on the sprocket flange, approximately the size that can match the width of the rocker shaft. this spacing may be Ground using Dremel Rotary Tool as it might be juts too tight for passage of the rocker shaft.
2 disengage and turn the flange that mounts the camshaft to the head
3 see the exposed rocker shafts.

the engine must be in position to satisfy closure of the 3 valves and to satisfy the position of camshaft such the flange's opening matches the path of removal of the rocker shaft. repeat - minor grinding at the sprocket flange may be necessary for passage of the rocker shaft.